At home in Argentina?

sergio said:
You´re always going to be different and treated accordingly - unless you have fabulous language skills and perfect the language and physically LOOK Argentine....

Ooh, explain that, sergio. What does it mean that outsiders are "treated accordingly" here? And what does an Argentine physically LOOK like?

I'm in Argentina for good, but I've had enough of Capital Federal and I'm headed for the country.

sergio said:
I think you have to go back to your home country for an extended stay each year or you lose touch and become weird. No matter how long you stay here you are not going to be considered Argentine. You´re always going to be different and treated accordingly - unless you have fabulous language skills and perfect the language and physically LOOK Argentine....

I will never be Argentine, but even in BA I find a high level of acceptance and appreciation when I (obviously as a foreigner) express my desire to live here and acknowledge the fact that the US is now following the Argentine economic "model" (so to speak) and expect disastrous consequences to follow.

I am often impressed how well informed/educated many Arentines are, especially concerning American history. Even my regular remis driver makes comments about how much Obama reminds him of the progressives of the early 20th century (Wilson and Roosevelt).

steveinbsas said:
I will never be Argentine, but even in BA I find a high level of acceptance and appreciation when I (obviously as a foreigner) express my desire to live here and acknowledge the fact that the US is now following the Argentine economic "model" (so to speak) and expect disastrous consequences to follow.

I am often impressed how well informed/educated many Arentines are, especially concerning American history. Even my regular remis driver makes comments about how much Obama reminds him of the progressives of the early 20th century (Wilson and Roosevelt).

Can´t say I´ve noticed this in many years here. I find few Argentines who know anything about US history. Most think everything started in 1776. When I point out that the first English colony was 1607 they are stunned. Of course, a lot of Americans are also ignorant of history.

I came to BA a few years ago for fertility treatment after other countries have failed. I had a daughter there who turns 2 this week and after getting pregnant a second time, we went back to the states to be around family, what Pericles said the "inefficiency and lack of long term planning", and for me, the lack of variety in food.

Well, the grass is NOT greener here and I'm in Hawaii. Family gets to you after a while, inefficiency exists everywhere (just in different measures), and after having a family, it's so much easier to cook and prepare meals at home. I'm still looking for restaurants here that watch your toddler while you eat.
In addition, we've made wonderful Argentine friends and have been a apart of many family functions.

So, there's our vote, we consider Argentina our home. And we're working our way back...

Back