Ataque De Higado

It's tradition inherited from Granma's . Me patea el higado...! The cure is Hepatalgina pills. Higado troubles are blamed on fried eggs, heavy cream, and fatty products

Well I guess in the English language we have some chimerical ailments: Man Flu, Chronic Halitosis, Pox of LeChuck. Global warming :p

This thread is great!

My Argentine wife has "liver attacks" and "low pressure" almost every day.

At least according to her, it's not any of the explanations given in this thread. It's an attack of the liver. When I tell her that you can't feel your liver, and send her a hundred links from medical sites to show her, she gives me this look that says, "You're completely wrong, but I'm not going to say anything."

Reading this thread has made me feel a lot better. (I guess it relieved my liver attack.)

Yes it's funny, whatever is wrong is always one of those two or allergies. For instance my wife is allergic to the change in temperature apparently.

Can't remember having heard about "liver attack" or the "low pressure" anywhere else, not even in Italy while I was living there. I laughed it off for a long time until I started to realize there might be some truth to it though I wouldn't take them to literal.

"Ataque de higado" is also used related to hangovers - and/or having had too much alcohol too many days in a row. I have friends that sometimes can't/won't drink any alcohol for weeks because they have one - that kind of makes some sense.

"Me bajó la presión" I hear mostly used when someone hasn't eaten for a long time and they are feeling weak (many times because of a long night with a long sleep-in ie; related to hangover as well). A quick sugar rush seems to take the edge away.

Funny. When I lived in Miami I had an American friend married to an Argie and she always made fun of our 'ataques de higado'.

True, no one knows what it is, but, as said above, I believe it has to do with feeling like crap after eating too much fatty food (choripan gives me ataques de higado, as an example). I would say that headache and nausea (vomiting is optional ;) ) would be the symptoms? Anyway, yes, I prevent it with Hepatalgina, Palatrobil, Chofitol... they help you digest better.

Now, AmigoArtistico ... don't mess with the 'low pressure' girls! :p . I don't know if it really means that your blood pressure is low (mine is usually low), I think it has to do with low sugar levels... Whatever it is, I 'cure' it with serrano ham, coke, salted peanuts... I get like this in the summer, when temperatures are high and pressure is low.

I believe it is yet another Italian part of their heritage. May be wrong.

How to avoid getting 'hit by air' in Italy- BBC News Magazine

EDIT- Because people don't have time to read articles:

Great article-- speaks exactly to my question.

Apropos of the 'golpe de aire,' my poor cousin recently suffered terrible back pain due to the fact that she was seated on the micro next to the door, and every time the door opened the cold air attacked one side of her back.

And as for "se me bajó la presión," that can be easily translated as "I do believe I'm getting the vapours."

My Argentinean friends are always complaining about their stomachs or not feeling well because of this and that. Hypercondriacs?

This thread is great!

My Argentine wife has "liver attacks" and "low pressure" almost every day.

At least according to her, it's not any of the explanations given in this thread. It's an attack of the liver. When I tell her that you can't feel your liver, and send her a hundred links from medical sites to show her, she gives me this look that says, "You're completely wrong, but I'm not going to say anything."

Reading this thread has made me feel a lot better. (I guess it relieved my liver attack.)

Ha ha ha me too!

Back