August 16 holiday?

Jennifer

Registered
We are new to BA from Ohio. Schools are closed tomorrow for a national holiday, but I cannot find anything else about the holiday. E.g., are stores, zoo, or restaurants open? Is there a parade or anything culturally interesting happening tomorrow?

August 17th is the anniversary of the death of General Jose de San Martin, who liberated Argentina. Like in EEUU, the holiday is celebrated on Monday so that people can have a 3 day weekend. I assume the late general would approve. Schools, public and private offices and banks will be closed. Most everything else be as usual
Fred Mertz
Noted Argentina Historian and Googler

Monday is the observed holiday. There is usually one holiday per month. In the past, they were "celebrated" on the actual day. But in the last few years, the observations of the holidays have been moved to Mondays (unless it's May 25th or July 9th). But even the 25th got a Monday added because of the Bicentennial. But that was only announced about 2 weeks in advance, because no one in the government could make a decision about anything. (Not a snide remark, and actual statement of facts.)

If you are looking for things to do, the International Tango Festival just started on Friday. Since I don't think that there will be a parade for San Martin, this might be your best chance at getting a little festive.

http://www.tangobuenosaires.gov.ar/festivalymundial10/web/en/index.html

Back