AuPairInArgentina.com Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinister

Registered
Hi there,

I've been spending the last couple weeks bringing attention to a fraudulent agency that works out of Buenos Aires called AuPairInArgentina.com, run by a British woman named Anna Templeton. Why? Because I paid them $250 to place me with an Argentine family in October. They lied about having a family ready for me by the time I got to BA (my first time in South America) and after two weeks, "placed" me to live with a family who told me within a week that they cannot afford the fees.

I told Templeton that in light of this clear deception and negligence, I want a full refund. Templeton repeatedly refused me a full refund because of a purported "non-refundable fee." (The non-refundable fee only applies once I have signed a contract- which I never did, nor had the opportunity to do.) I imagine that non-refundable fees and such "terms and conditions" also do not apply when the agency does not perform its own job. She and her lawyer also accused me of being a bad au pair- despite the fact that the family and I remain on good terms and the family has also chosen to not work with the agency again.

I agreed to settle for a partial refund in exchange for signing a "compromise agreement"- because I could really use the money, I guess. However, when I read through the contract Templeton and her lawyer sent me, I saw that without telling me they had added a gag order that prohibits me from speaking about my experience'. Not only was I being bullied into accepting a partial refund that they don't deserve, but she was trying to make it illegal for me to talk about how terrible my experience was. I refused to sign such a document for a refund that is clearly mine". Because of this, I have received none of my $250 back, I have no family placement and I lost hundreds more during this time.

I created a blog to bring awareness to this scam: www.aupairinargentina.wordpress.com

Anna Templeton has since created several profiles and fake comments, including on my own blog, which are obviously fake because they come from the same IP address. She also runs AuPairInAndalucia.com and "Splat Argentina."

Anyway, I'm in the process of reporting her to the Argentine authorities for illegally running a business and employing foreigners in the country without paying taxes.

Careful out there.

Good for you for posting here in the forum and sharing. Googling their web site now brings your post to #2 in the google listings. ... I think pretty soon they will regret not giving you your money back. ;)

Interesting. This person has been sending a lot of emails recently to BANewcomers. Looking for au pairs to go to Punta, estancias, etc. Sounded legit although I never looked into it.

It is quite standard for Au Pair Agencies to cover a fee; it goes towards administration, care while the au pairs are abroad, events and orientation.
We have been working for 2 years successfully in Argentina with currently 30 happy au pairs placed with satisfied families, which I don’t think we could do if we were “fraudulent” or out to rip people off. Unfortunately there is not much we can do about a bitter au pair, who was asked to leave for not working properly and “treating the house like a hotel”, bad mouthing us across the internet, and of course she is entitled to her freedom of speech. The only thing we can rely on is the positive feedback that we consistently get from our clients content with our service and who know that we are true to our word.

Two words: fake profiles.

I have confirmation the fake Couchsurfing profile "MaddyBA" who helpfully created a profile to say:

"I au paired with the agency and found them to be amazing! Not always best to take the first person's opinion. They have introduced me to a wonderful family (who I am still working for) and lots of friends"
is attached to the director's name according to other CS users who receive full names in email notifications in their inbox.

To Anna:
You would be SURPRISED at the folks that operate for years whilst dabbling in the fraudulent.
Amway and Madoff are the first 2 that comes to mind.
Oh , and Donald trump , for passing that pompadeur as hair

Dinnster, back in my antispammer days , we in the cabal called those fakes that would lavish praise on a spammer we would attack "sock puppets"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back