Austerity shock: caution at the labor confederation, panic among state workers

i'm really not sure. i always understood that the police weren't allowed or had no power to do anything about blockades.

the cockroaches (unions) are scared. this is a good thing

The governors of all the provinces are who are pressing Milei to reinstate the ganancias tax as they receive a large chunk of that money. Milei is considering agreeing to it in exchange for the governors pressing their senators and diputados to support Milei's reforms in the congress.
He has reinstated the ganacia tax and at a lower threshold than the previous government . Is he keeping any promises ?

He has also increased many taxes that will greatly affect the middle class . I though he was a liberal and against the casta . Now we see clearly the true colors of this new government . It is going to be a very bumpy ride.

True colours of a government only materialise when they’re in power and have a few years away from accountability. Manifestos and political soundbites mean nothing once you’ve been handed the keys of power. It’s the sad reality of 4-5 year terms of rolling democracy. Still, it’s probably better than most functioning alternatives

Piqueteros and provincial police have been on the take about as much as each other.

When one of Milei's idols Margaret Thatcher broke the unions, they had a ready and willing police force to do the dirty work.
I'm not sure the ranks that the police are drawn from in Argentina will be as willing to do what the powers that be deem necessary.
They'll probably have to start paying them a decent wage.

Piqueteros and provincial police have been on the take about as much as each other.

When one of Milei's idols Margaret Thatcher broke the unions, they had a ready and willing police force to do the dirty work.
I'm not sure the ranks that the police are drawn from in Argentina will be as willing to do what the powers that be deem necessary.
They'll probably have to start paying them a decent wage.
As a fellow Brit, I am interested in your take on Thatcher

I Hate the old witches guts but then I'm from North of Watford Gap.
Likewise. I didn’t live through her term but instead have the misfortune of living through the consequences. I often watch OFAH and ah to have a council flat in Peckham, you’d not have to worry about wishing to be a millionaire

She also had billions of oil money windfall to fund her lower tax policy, which Argentina may be able to exploit provided the conditions are right.

I don’t think Thatcherism is the answer to Argentina’s problems but clearly neither was Kirchnerism.

She also had billions of oil money windfall to fund her lower tax policy, which Argentina may be able to exploit provided the conditions are right.

I don’t think Thatcherism is the answer to Argentina’s problems but clearly neither was Kirchnerism.
The fury when you compare to Norway’s sovereign wealth fund. Imagine what could’ve been achieved instead. But in any case, I don’t want to evolve this thread into Thatcher bashing. I’ll end it on saying I can’t wait for the tories to be thrown out when we’re fortunate enough to have an election

He has reinstated the ganacia tax and at a lower threshold than the previous government . Is he keeping any promises ?
Everyone who has been paying attention and understands economics knew what had to happen here.

Milei promised a shock of fiscal austerity and a wholesale restructuring of the economic and political system and we are in the early days of that and it will be a painful process.

On the eve of Milei's election Argentina was in a distorted economic mess that is almost never seen anywhere in the world except in countries that are at war or under crippling economic sanctions. The cancer is very deep here and extracting it and then undergoing the chemotherapy is going to cause significant suffering for a relatively short amount of time. However once the treatment is over the country will emerge as something very different from what we have seen over the last 80 years or so.

This is a revolutionary moment in time.

Back