BA News: BA Herald on Strike & SUGAR Shut by The Man

The BA Herald is a good ESL teaching tool.

let's see....

1. Spot the mistakes
2. Which words would you substitute to make this sentence mean what it's supposed to mean.
3. Guess the ESL level of the article's author.
4. Hilariously inappropriate headlines

Thanks for the post I was going to head down there for a beer this evening .....I guess not now!!!!

Closing Sugar is crazy.... that is why you have to be half crazy to run or open a business here. Sad but true.
I think Sugar has problems like citygirl said ...because they are an expat--- foreign owned bar and 10 peso pints and a line to get in at midnight does not make the local Argie bar owners in the area happy at all!! closed for kethup bottles once.... now closed for something that happened 2 years ago....etc etc crazy!

I can intelligently comment and explain this as I have myself been shut down by the GCBA and dealt with the aftermath in court. First, when an establishment is closed down on a random night by the AGC arm of the GCBA it is a "preventative" closure (clausura preventativa) and is in theory done to prevent disaster from happening within the establishment. After a judge at the AGC deems that the dangerous conditions have been eliminated and lifts the "clausura preventativa" the docket gets passed along to the city's criminal justice system for assigning fines and/or additional punishment. In the case of Sugar, I assume that in 2009 they were shut down for being overcapacity; in the reopening order document that the owners/representatives signed down at AGC in 2009 in front of the judge, it clearly states that being caught "overcapacity" comes with a potential penalty of 15-180 days of additional closure and fines up to $50,000 AR (with severity determined by the criminal justice judge depending upon how good your lawyers are and if you have any prior infractions). The way to beat this additional penalty is to arm up on lawyers and fight and appeal the case until the judges get tired of looking at it and assign only a small fine to get you to go away.

Back