Baby Boomers in BA

I just checked out Baby Boomer on wickipedia, and it seems that I am one.
Did I miss the point here or is this just another post to bitch about the prices.
Welcome fellow baby boomers, I will be back in May and the astronomical cost of my airfare will be recouped in my first two weeks.
You may have inflation, and it is much much dearer than 2001, and OK it will get dearer, but belive me, as someone who still has to spend most of his life in the UK, Buenos Aires is still a bargain.
But I whole heartedly agree with Pericles, the prices alone are not a good reason to come.

Hi Victoria. You´lll hava a great time here in BA..
Please contact me too when you arrive,. I also dance tango and I know other people our age

My name is Danna

By the way, other baby boomers, Any one interested in meeting up,?
I live here in San Telmo
[email protected]

victoria said:
Hi,

Looking to meet some Baby Boomer expats in advance for my BA move this year. I'm sick of cold, dark Minnesota winters and the recession. I recently lost my job in a lay off and there's a hiring freeze on in the Twin Cities.

I'll be selling my house this spring and plan to be in BA for three months for a feasibility relocation visit.

I've been to BA before with my tango dance group and I loved the South American friendliness. I don't speak Spanish (yet), but do have two Porteno friends.

Are there early retirees/Baby Boomers out there or is all younger expats? Not that I have anything against younger people (my two BA friends are), but it would be nice to get to know someone my age in a similar situation.

Cio,

Victoria

Victoria,

As you can see from this thread some people love Buenos Aires and some don't. I don't think that there is any wrong or right answer because every one looks for something different in life. For me, and this never came up for anyone on this thread, crime is out of my comfort zone here and getting worse each year. I don't like to carry a purse. Also, this is not a clean city which may be important or unimportant to you.

One thing that I would strongly suggest to you is to RENT for a minimum of six months before deciding to buy. People from the States have a tendency to BUY immediately. Not a good idea. With regard to cost of living it really depends on your lifestyle. I think US$2,000 monthly would be about right in order to live a comfortable life without having to think about what you are spending money on.

steveinbsas said:
Hi Victoria,

I came to Argentina from Mexico because I could not afford to live in Paris, and immigrating to France is almost impossible. Besides, the weather in Argentina is generally better than in France, especially in the winter. (Paris remains a great place to visit.)

Mexico is a powder keg ready to explode.

In Mexico I was always a GRINGO.

Here I look like a porteno (local-if-not-wealthy-white guy).

It was also a lot easier to learn castellano (the Argentine version of Spanish) than French!

And the cost of living in Argentina is (still) less than Mexico, France, or the US.

There are more than enough boomers in BA to create a circle of friends.

Life is good.

Steve

Please do not be discouraged by the naysayers or whiners on this forum. Few of them actually live here! (One who bailed out recently can simply be ignored.)

"Immigrating to France is almost impossible." Do you mean for people who do not have EU citizenship?

Back