Banjo Lessons?

StuckLikeGlue

Registered
I recently acquired a lovely banjo and a "How to Play the Banjo" lesson book. At the time I was super excited because I've always wanted to play the banjo, but I totally forgot that I'm not much of a "teach yourself" kind of girl.

This might be a long shot but.... do y'all know anyone who plays the banjo and gives lessons? Or might be willing to?

I play banjo, but probably couldn't conveniently give you lessons unless you want to come all the way out to Florencio Varela. The main thing to focus on at first (if you want to play in a 3-finger picking bluegrass style), is to focus on the right hand patterns. A few basic ones will take you a long ways. Banjo is a fairly satisfying instrument in that it starts to sound fairly decent early in the game, as opposed to violin or such, where at the beginner level it sounds like cats fighting. Surely there must be some players and teachers in Capital as it's fairly common to find banjos for sale in the music stores. Feel free to PM me - maybe I could help you a little bit by skype if you don't find someone there.

There is a small bluegrass scene in Argentina. I'm sure that through a google search you can find some info.

Joe Troop gives banjo lessons in Buenos Aires. He is a professional bluegrass musician (also gives lessons for mandolin and fiddle). His website is joetroop.com. His bluegrass project "dulce de yanqui" is playing this sunday for free.

Second Joe Troop as being "The Man"!

If I get a banjo soon, I might take a group class with you SLG.

Back