Bank Account for tourists

Based on the info about transfers in the link, it does not look like it is possible to use Western Union to make a peos deposit into the account.

It looks like the government only wants DOLLARS to be transferred into the account and I have a "hunch" that WU "transfers" would be blocked by the Banco Ciudad.

How is the international transaction received?

The amount in pesos is received at the official exchange of the day on which the account is credited.

How long does it take to prove the international transfer?

If the payment instruction received indicates all the complete data of the Originator of the funds and the Beneficiary, the accreditation is automatic and within 24 hours.

What data is needed to make the transfer?

All the data of the Originator of the funds: full name, account number where the funds come from and address of the payer; and of the Beneficiary: full name and account number in which to accredit. Important: It is necessary to have the complete data, otherwise you cannot liquidate the item with credit to the client, nor return the funds abroad, until such data is completed.

What is the cost of the international transaction?*

Less than USD 30, 50% of the amount + IVA (21%)

Between USD 30 and USD 99.99 - USD 15 + IVA (21%)

Between USD 100 and 999.99 USD 25 + IVA (21%)

Between USD 1000 and 55 thousand - USD 55 + IVA (21%)

More than USD 55 thousand - 0.10% + IVA (21%)

*The 21% IVA is on the commission and not on the total transaction. Rates subject to modification, check with Banco Ciudad
I meant to transfer to a WU branch and pick up the cash and then deposit. IDK frankly I am very skeptical as well but hay nothing to lose if he/she tries. Worse case they say no....

I meant to transfer to a WU branch and pick up the cash and then deposit. IDK frankly I am very skeptical as well but hay nothing to lose if he/she tries. Worse case they say no....
I wonder if cash deposits in pesos will even be permitted...as the idea if this scam...oops, I mean scheme...is to get Dollars into the country and for the bank to make money charging transfer fees on this end.

I wonder if the conditions for the bank account for students as outlined in the link that dsp27 provided are different than the proposed bank account for tourists.

The conditions for the bank account for students indicates that the transfers will be deposited at the official rate but, if I understand correctly, the transfers for the tourist bank account are supposed to be closer to the blue rate.

If that's he case, the tourist bank account would be far more attractive, but I still wonder if it is only possible to make "wire" transfers or in person deposits of dollarts into the acount and what fees would apply at each end for wire transfers and if using transfer services like Western Union, Moneygram or XOOM would not be possible.

Last edited:
I wonder if the conditions for the bank account for students as outlined in the link that dsp27 provided are different than the proposed bank account for tourists.

The conditions for the bank account for students indicates that the transfers will be deposited at the official rate but, if I understand correctly, the transfers for the tourist bank account are supposed to be closer to the blue rate.

If that's he case, the tourist bank account would be far more attractive, but I still wonder if it is only possible to make "wire" transfers or in person deposits of dollarts into the acount and what fees would apply at each end for wire transfers and if using transfer services like Western Union, Moneygram or XOOM would not be possible.
If they want to take a fee plus iva I'm going to assume that's the place where they make money {besides the solidarity rate). I doubt they would allow transfers they didn't get a part of.

As of now the solidarity rate is right with the blue so it's not as bad as it was when the idea was proposed last year.

Back