Bank Account Recommendations And Fees

For intl transfers I would recommend Galicia, BBVA Frances, Santander Rio they are not the cheapest, yet not the most expensive.
Thanks nikad - do they vary much regarding fees. I would also like to open a standard savings account for interest free purchases etc

Thanks nikad - do they vary much regarding fees. I would also like to open a standard savings account for interest free purchases etc
I think they charge about the same really for a basic account. 150$ +/- Rio gives you the option to open the account online and gives you a peso and a usd account by default. Galicia and Frances you have to request it separately. We do intl with Galicia, they have a fairly large foreign commerce dept. Rio acquired Citibank so all their credit cards now allow you to earn American Airlines miles. Frances credit cards allow you lo earn Lampass miles.

Thanks. I guess it'll mainly be for local payments (eg. bills, getting money from local ATMs) as well as credit cards but I might have to make the occasional transfer from my foreign bank account. I know that many basic savings accounts are free (http://www.infobae.com/2016/04/01/1801343-los-bancos-comenzaron-ofrecer-cajas-ahorro-gratuitas/), but I'm wondering whether you can make withdrawals from cajas de ahorro like you would be able to with a caja corriente (where I live bank accounts aren't really separated into savings and checking accounts)?

I hope it´s okay to jump on this thread with a similiar yet different question.

I have my CUIL and I have my precaria, just waiting on my DNI now. I read somewhere (maybe here http://www.notilogia.com/2016/09/como-abrir-una-cuenta-bancaria-en-argentina-para-inmigrantes.html) that with the CUIL I could open an account--at least with a public bank.

However, I went to Santander (which I know is not public but I was told to try anyway), Banco Nacion, and Galicia to look into it and was told that I cannot without residencia permanente or a DNI.

Should I waste my time trying Banco Provincia or is there another out there that someone actually knows will allow me to open an account with the CUIL and no DNI? Thanks in advance for the tips :)

I have my CUIL and I have my precaria, just waiting on my DNI now. I read somewhere (maybe here http://www.notilogia...nmigrantes.html) that with the CUIL I could open an account--at least with a public bank.

However, I went to Santander (which I know is not public but I was told to try anyway), Banco Nacion, and Galicia to look into it and was told that I cannot without residencia permanente or a DNI.

Should I waste my time trying Banco Provincia or is there another out there that someone actually knows will allow me to open an account with the CUIL and no DNI? Thanks in advance for the tips :)

My recent experience on this was like yours - nobody would open an account without the DNI. If you read the government websites, it will give you the impression that you can open it with a CUIT or CUIL, or a CDI - but I didn't find any bank that would open an account for me without the DNI. That said, once I had my appointment at Migraciones, the DNI only took a little over a week to receive.

Thanks. I guess it'll mainly be for local payments (eg. bills, getting money from local ATMs) as well as credit cards but I might have to make the occasional transfer from my foreign bank account. I know that many basic savings accounts are free (http://www.infobae.c...orro-gratuitas/), but I'm wondering whether you can make withdrawals from cajas de ahorro like you would be able to with a caja corriente (where I live bank accounts aren't really separated into savings and checking accounts)?
yes, you can withdraw from a caja de ahorros from any atm. Beware that cuenta gratis is in pesos, for intl transfers you will need to pay for a usd account and chances are they will not open it unless you get one of their packages. They also give you a lot of BS to open these free accounts. I got fed up and bit the bullet after 5 attempts.

I have my CUIL and I have my precaria, just waiting on my DNI now. I read somewhere (maybe here http://www.notilogia...nmigrantes.html) that with the CUIL I could open an account--at least with a public bank.

Here are the requirements that at least public banks have for both locals and foreigners https://srvdocs1.bancociudad.com.ar/Content/Personas/Cuentas/01%20CAJA%20DE%20AHORRO%20GRATIS%20Requisitos_1.pdf

For our pretty simple banking purposes...deposits, withdrawals, ATM usage and some foreign transfers, Santander Rio worked well. Plus, they have many offices so the lines aren't (always) as long as others.

yes, you can withdraw from a caja de ahorros from any atm. Beware that cuenta gratis is in pesos, for intl transfers you will need to pay for a usd account and chances are they will not open it unless you get one of their packages. They also give you a lot of BS to open these free accounts. I got fed up and bit the bullet after 5 attempts.

Thanks. So do I need a USD account even if I'm just transferring money into my Argentinian bank account, or is one necessary only when you plan on transferring money out of Argentina?

Thanks. So do I need a USD account even if I'm just transferring money into my Argentinian bank account, or is one necessary only when you plan on transferring money out of Argentina?
You can transfer into your local bank account in pesos from abroad, but you are going to be charged an exchange fee. Depending on the amounts you might not want that.

Back