Bank account still necessary for renewal of residencia??

florence

Registered
Does anyone know if you still need to have an Argentine bank account to renew a rentista residency? It appears to me that you don't. I looked at both the government website
http://www.argentina.gob.ar/tramites/179-prórroga-de-residencia-temporaria-como-rentista.php
and also the Migraciones website
http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?residencias_prorrogas

The government site mentions that the funds need to enter through a banking institution, but that would seem to include an ATM withdrawal. I didn't see any reference to a bank on the Migraciones site. I have a bank account here that I don't use and just maintain so I can show that I have one. I would love to close it and stop paying the fees associated with keeping it.

I don't think you need one, I've renewed my temporary residence twice and they've never asked for it. But if it's a work visa you do have to show your last 8 pay slips, what type of visa is it?

I guess it just depends on who takes your paperwork. All 3 times that I renewed my rentista visa, I had to show proof of an Argentine bank account along with all my other papers. In fact, the first time I went to renew my rentista visa, they told me to go and open an account before I could even submit the renewal paperwork. So I went to my Neighborhood Banco de la Nacion & opened one up. Then each year, I just went to the closest Banco de la Nacion and got a printout showing that I had a valid account. You do not need to (and should REFUSE) to show them your account activity or balance info. Good luck. After you get permanent residence these hassles will be over.

I was asked about the bank account details last year when i renewed, and i told the girl i didnt have a bankaccount because i didnt have a DNI so couldnt open one, and that i used my ATM card and had travellers cheques, and she was happy with that.

If you have a DNI the banks can give you a free bank account, in fact I think they are required to by law now. I have seen a notice about it in Banco Comafi. Its a very basic account, no frills.

I was wondering does anyone know what's required to renew the rentista visa? My contact told me that if you just show that you've deposited the required amount (8,000 pesos or so) into your Argentine account for the last three months (before the rentista visa is set to expire) then it would be ok.. he said you don't have to worry so much about showing how the money comes into the country.
Anyone else have any experience with this?

Fettucini said:
I was wondering does anyone know what's required to renew the rentista visa? My contact told me that if you just show that you've deposited the required amount (8,000 pesos or so) into your Argentine account for the last three months (before the rentista visa is set to expire) then it would be ok.. he said you don't have to worry so much about showing how the money comes into the country.
Anyone else have any experience with this?

This is exactly what they want. They no longer accept ATM receipts, but if you don't have a bank account and are close to the renewal deadline I suggest you have an Argentine accountant certify the ATM withdrawals. This is what I did several years ago and migraciones accepted it in lieu of bank statements (but I wouldn't try it now). You only have to show bank activity for the past 60 days, but its best to have the last original statement (with photocopies) so, depending on when and how often statements are issued, it might be necessary to make deposits for more than two months.

If the deadline for renewal is close you could open an account and deposit the required amount for two months (I suggest two separate deposits of $8000 pesos a few days apart) and then print copies of your most recent activity. Have them stamped at the bank as "official" copies and present them (with photocopies) at migraciones. If you do this I also suggest you have an accountant certify your ATM withdrawals (for the past year if desired). I know a very "understanding" accountant on Diagonal Norte near 9 de Julio. Send me a PM if you want his contact information.

Back