Bank Account With Just a Passport and CDI Number (No DNI)

I have a DNI and temporary residency, not permanent. Every bank I went to would only open an account for permanent residents. However in February Banco De La Nación (at Plaza De Mayo) finally opened a savings account for me. It costs 30 pesos/month, by the way.

GS_Dirtboy said:
No, at least not 4 years ago. Went to AFIP, stood in line for 3 days. Showed my Passport. Done. It might be different now.
Don't you mean ANSES? They issue CUILs. AFIP does CUITs (for employers or people who need to do Declaraciones to AFIP).

AFAIK, it is no longer possible to open any type of checking account without resdency due to the new laws that were put into effect in 2011. You may have luck with a savings account but I don't know how/where.

As recently as December, I got a savings account from Banco Nacion with only a passport and CDI. At that time, no private bank would do it- only state owned banks.
And even then, only savings.
But that would be what I would try- Banco Nacion. If its possible at all, thats going to be the place.

We too have an account with Banco Nacion, (no DNI), but it was VERY important to them that we owned our Condo and wanted to see those papers. We were kicked out of HSBC when the rules changed and we didn't have a DNI.
This all happened last Dec.
Nancy

Just goes to show how everything is uncertain here.

4 years ago, I bought a car with cash. I tried to get a CUIL from ANSES with my passport and they absolutely denied me this. The only thing I could get as a foreigner, according to them, was a CDI.

I went to every bank I could think of, around that time (not associated with the car purchase), to try to open a savings account and was denied every time. About three years ago, when I applied for my residency, it was required that I get a bank account and my lawyer took me to Banco Galicia where he knew someone that opened a bank account for me. Having the precaria at that point, it would probably have been possible for me to do it at that time myself.

I've heard many anecdotes about people being able to open bank accounts without a DNI, but I was never able to do so, nor do I know anyone who did - with one exception.

I have a (very) rich friend who spends half his time here and half in the States. He was able to get some kind of account set up for transfers through CitiBank, in conjunction with his accounts in the States. But he has more money than God and people with that kind of money can always find ways to deal with inconveniences.

I don't know, I've always been extremely unlucky on things like this it seems. I had heard other people able to do it and it never worked out for me.

I have a Santander Rio account, opened without DNI, however my company organised it and I am on my 2nd yr of residency,just still never received my DNI (every time I go to ask they tell me it's in the mail, 15 months now, I may faint if I ever actually receive one). So it's possible without a DNI but wthout residency of any sort I have my doubts.

RachinBA said:
I have a Santander Rio account, opened without DNI, however my company organised it and I am on my 2nd yr of residency,just still never received my DNI (every time I go to ask they tell me it's in the mail, 15 months now, I may faint if I ever actually receive one). So it's possible without a DNI but wthout residency of any sort I have my doubts.

Sometimes the acronym DNI is used (or at least by me) a bit loosely to include the precaria.

Once you have your precaria, you should be able to open the account, even if you didn't have the DNI yet. That's what the lawyer did for me when I applied for residency, and probably what your company did for you in the process of applying for residency.

I didn't get my DNI for about two and a half years - just got it this February. I had the bank account for about a year with no problem, but closed it.

As a side note, my sister-in-law's took almost two years and she's a Mercosur citizen. She applied for it when she was 14. She got it 4 days after her 16th birthday. It arrived expired. Heh. She had to go through the process to get a new one, which is required when the resident turns 16.

Since someone else posted about this topic, I just wanted to confirm that this is possible with Banco Nación. You need a CDI and a passport.

Back