Banking, Credit Cards, etc

tdjb

Registered
Can someone provide a link or information on banking? Will i need to open a bank account at an Argentine bank? Will i be able to use my credit cards in BA? What is the best way to exchange money?

Thanks in advance

tdjb said:
Can someone provide a link or information on banking? Will i need to open a bank account at an Argentine bank? Will i be able to use my credit cards in BA? What is the best way to exchange money?

Thanks in advance
You'll need a DNI number to open a bank account (ie you need to be a resident or citizen). Credit cards are excepted in most places (maybe not smaller resturants and shops) - Visa and Amex seem most common (Mastercard not always accepted). Best way to exchange money is to bring an ATM card from home and just withdraw cash from an ATM (get a card from home which has 0 fee on foreign cash withdrawals if possible).

Yep, DNI is required....they make it really hard to open an account....one solution is to hop over to UY and open up a Brou http://www.bancorepublica.com.uy/ account , wire money into it from abroad and use the local Brou branch in BsAs. to withdraw money ...works for me...!!! A lot safer than most Arg banks....and you can open w/ just a passport...in the Colonia branch office...!!!:D

tdjb said:

Thanks in advance

There are very few circumstances where having an Argentine bank account makes any sense. You can use credit cards but expect foreign transaction fees around 2%. Most people end up using ATM cards to get cash from the bank back home. Check with your bank or find one with low fees. Check out the previous threads on this topic, there are many.

there may be other advantages too i certainly wouldn't maintain a large balance in a bank here, but having a local credit card can come in handy if you install a burglar alarm system, which needs monthly payments or for other things its probably not a priority and i'm very thankful for the info about opening an account in uruguay which by the way used to be called the switzerland of s am somewhat because of its banking i wouldnt trust it any further than any other banking system right now tho

diego7david said:
there may be other advantages too i certainly wouldn't maintain a large balance in a bank here, but having a local credit card can come in handy if you install a burglar alarm system, which needs monthly payments or for other things its probably not a priority and i'm very thankful for the info about opening an account in uruguay which by the way used to be called the switzerland of s am somewhat because of its banking i wouldnt trust it any further than any other banking system right now tho

It is possible to charge some payments automatically to a foreign credit card here (Nextel, maphre, Omint, etc.), but not all.

This may be a dumb question, but i dont know the answer. When i withdraw money from my home bank using an ATM, do i get the money in dollars or pesos?

Thanks

diego7david said:
A brief history of UY banking....

During the 2001 corrailto in Arg, UY 's state bank BROU seized the deposits but returned all of them w/ interest at a later date....nothing was lost... Still safety boxes are popular here....:D

tdjb said:
This may be a dumb question, but i dont know the answer. When i withdraw money from my home bank using an ATM, do i get the money in dollars or pesos?

Thanks

You get Pesos

Back