Bariloche and safety

veganmom

Registered
We are a family from Cape Town, South Africa who's been staying in the States for the past 3 yrs. We're looking to do a LSD trip (look-see-decide) from June. I have a few questions, and hope someone can give me some solid advice here. I appreciate any information which you think might help a first time visitor with possible interest to PR to Argentina...

1. Would you recommend June, July, Aug or Sept, Oct, Nov? (3 months) for first time visit?
2. How would you describe crime (if any)?
3. Where is a good area between El Bolson and Bariloche to look for land to create a homestead, grow organic etc...?
4. Is the ski area around Bariloce expensive compared to USA (lift tickets)? Iam trying to find information, but I until now with not much luck.

Thank you for your time in reading this..... I will send some more questions soon

veganmom said:
We are a family from Cape Town, South Africa who's been staying in the States for the past 3 yrs. We're looking to do a LSD trip (look-see-decide) from June. I have a few questions, and hope someone can give me some solid advice here. I appreciate any information which you think might help a first time visitor with possible interest to PR to Argentina...

1. Would you recommend June, July, Aug or Sept, Oct, Nov? (3 months) for first time visit?
3. Where is a good area between El Bolson and Bariloche to look for land to create a homestead, grow organic etc...?
4. Is the ski area around Bariloce expensive compared to USA (lift tickets)? Iam trying to find information, but I until now with not much luck.

Thank you for your time in reading this..... I will send some more questions soon

1) it's definitly very very cold here then. Come with very warm clothes.
2) I've been living here for a year & never felt unsafe once. POlice walk the streets here. You just don't want to move to the back side of town.
3) I don't know, sorry. I haven't been that way yet.
4) google it, I have seen the information, but I can't remember. Cerro Catedral is the name of the mountain & it listed all the prices. Resident pay a cheaper price I do know that.

What happens to the back side of the town? I'm wondering what happens in the woods where people go walking and biking?

there's the villa (township) area (like any city in Argentina, there's a very poor neighbourhood -- nothing as dangerous as you would find in Capital, and the one's in Capital are nowhere near as dangerous or large as those in Capetown and Joburg).

Try this link via Google Translate to read a bit more about poverty in Bariloche area:
http://translate.google.es/translat.../2010/09/01/vivir-y-morir-pobre-en-bariloche/

Orginal link: http://niderechosnihumanos.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/vivir-y-morir-pobre-en-bariloche/

veganmom said:

I've been living in Bariloche for the last 3 years.

1. Yes winter season in june/july/aug, dark evenings, come if you like skiing. November is usually nice

2: Safer than BA, yes there is petty theft, bag snatchers, shops get held up at gun point on occasions (they usually get away with AR$100!), houses are more prone to break-in than apartments, everyone has bars on the windows and dogs, most break-ins reported on the news seem to have been well planned and they have known there was money stored on the property, they usually tie people up and beat them as well if they don't say where the money is. I feel safe waking the streets around the centre even at night, if you are leaving a bar at 3am and walking home take more care. There is more crime in the high seasons - july/aug and dec/jan/feb

3: El Bolson has a much more favourable climate than Bariloche, so go to the El Bolson area.

4: It's expensive compared to the cost of living, if you have a DNI and are resident in Bariloche you can get a ski pass for AR$900 season (usable after 11am) otherwise its about AR$6000+ for the season. Read the resort reviews on snow-forecast and you will probably decide not to come! service is terrible, grooming is terrible, if it doesn't open when there is heavy snow as it takes about 3 days for them to decide to dig the lifts out..

The general cost of living is greater than Buenos Aires, the supermarkets are about 20% higher than BA

Have a look at the local news for a better vibe into life in the area:
http://anbariloche.com.ar/
http://www.bariloche2000.com/
http://www.elcordillerano.com.ar/ (the website is usually down 50% of the time)

Back