Bed Sheet Sizes

STElmoFranco

Registered
Hi,

I need to buy a new set up sheets for my bed and wanted to understand the bed sizes before I bought anything. I have what appears to be a full sized bed (double), but the full sized sheets I brought from the US are too small for it. It's definitely not a queen sized bed, but it must be larger than US full sized beds! Are mattresses here sized differently? Maybe some sort of European or metric sizing system? What size does the bed I'm describing sound like to those of you that have bought mattresses or sheets?

Thank you!

Double: 140 x 190 cm
Queen: 160 x 190 cm or 160 x 200 cm
King: 180 x 200 cm
Super King: 200 x 200 cm

You can also find beds 130 x 190 cm & 150 x 190 cm so suggest you measure it

So, if I'm planning to bring some US sheets for a queen size bed, will they fit? I keep reading suggestions of bringing your own sheets, and hate the idea of lugging them down there and then not being able to use them!

Euro-expat here.
We purchased for our place in BA, two queen size beds (that can be split into 2 twin beds) and 2 twins for the 3rd bedroom.
For the queens,we use 160x 200 size sheets. Standard US queen size. I also have 180x 200 to pull down and cover both mattress and box spring, that I use sometimes, making it look neater-no need for bed skirt.
Twin sheets are 80 x 200, although a bit large--and perhaps should be 75x 200. Not US Extra Long. Standard twin. But they tuck underneath the mattress fine.
We only use bottom sheet with elastic. No top sheet And use duvets and cotton duvet covers.
Also have a sofa sleeper couch which mattress is a double- but small double since mattress is thin. For this I use a USA top sheet for full size bed, and tuck it in. Works fine-this is not used that often.
Flannel sheets and pillow cases are a nice treat!:)

We also bought extra sets of sheets in BA--Recoleta Design Center in a store that I think is called Home (it is a chain store-so others are found around BA). Prices not bad by Euro standard-about the same, but costlier than US.
You can also find some wonderful Portuguese quilts at good prices when they are on sale.
Good luck.

Why not measure the mattress with a metric tape measure? If you bring the dimensions to the sheet selling store, surely, they can help you. The size of the the sheets should be on the package. You could buy flat sheets and make the bed, as they do (or did) in the military for decades.

Here a double bed, "standard" is 140 X 190 and is considered "dos placas". That is a double by US standards. I buy sheets at Bed Bath and Bankrupt as a double set and it fits fine. Try to get a mattress cover, protector as well. Good Investment.

BAwithkids said:
So, if I'm planning to bring some US sheets for a queen size bed, will they fit? I keep reading suggestions of bringing your own sheets, and hate the idea of lugging them down there and then not being able to use them!

Hey -- I use my sheets from home -- our bed is a Simmons 160cm x 200cm, no extra pillowtop. This is a "queen" -- the key to the sheets fitting is to buy sheets made for an extra-deep queen (I think the package will usually say for an 18" deep mattress -- ie usually for one with a pillowtop). When I put them on they fit here, the flat sheet doesn't have a tonne of extra overlap on the sides, but the fitted goes on perfectly.

Back