Beef Jerky

mikew

Registered
Does anyone know of a place that produces beef jerky for the Argentine market? Googling around has shown that a lot is produced here for export, but I can't find anything (if there is anything) on any being produced in this market.

Thanks.

mikew, if you can get your hands on a dehydrator you can make your own beef or turkey jerky as sweet, as smoky-flavored or as hot as you want. Beef is great from a carnicero (do not buy at the grocery), get some liquid smoke and make a marinade that suits your taste and dehydrate those strips 8 hrs for moist to very dry for overnight - viola, the best beef jerky, without preservatives, ever. You can even dehydrate fruit if you are really into trail mixes. Try Mercadolibre - not sure what the name would be in spanish tough.

Well... to be honest, it's kind of a loaded question.

I've been here a few years, and make my own beef jerky, mainly for self use, but I share with my friends, and even the Argentines I work with seem to love it. Several people have told me I should go into business... and so I'm kind of doing what would be informal market research. I couldn't see any other company dealing any beef jerky in Argentina from my internet searches, but figured if anyone knew of anyone else in the business, it would be someone here. :)

kikedeolivos said:
We don't eat beef jerky. Maybe you could find some in Jumbo .

I must disagree with you, we do eat it in some places in the country and it is called charqui :)

mikew said:
Does anyone know of a place that produces beef jerky for the Argentine market? Googling around has shown that a lot is produced here for export, but I can't find anything (if there is anything) on any being produced in this market.

Thanks.

Google for charqui, you can find it easy in Catamarca, Jujuy and Salta, at most markets

nikad said:
I must disagree with you, we do eat it in some places in the country and it is called charqui :)
Isn't that really "equine jerky"? :)

RWS said:
Isn't that really "equine jerky"? :)
no, they do it with different kinds of meat actually: beef,llama,ostrich,deer etc

Reactions: RWS
Go into the Jerky Business! I will have a good customer for you.. my boyfriend is Argentine and his favorite thing that I bring back from the US is the Beef Jerky. According to him there is nothing in the local market in BA that is similar...

oxente! said:
Go into the Jerky Business! I will have a good customer for you.. my boyfriend is Argentine and his favorite thing that I bring back from the US is the Beef Jerky. According to him there is nothing in the local market in BA that is similar...
Not in BsAs but there is certainly lots of it on other parts of the country

Back