Being cheap is not the reason that many are coming to Buenos aires

My opinion is that the lower peso is losing it's "bargain" value through inflation. I've already noticed price increases even in my small world and short time here. I still consider this a fairly inexpensive place to live with a good standard of living. I live in Rosario though, so that's a bit different than BsAs.
For myself, I'd say just "being part" of the Argentine life is my main focus for being here. For better or worse, it's a learning experience to say the least. Another reason is to see BsAs and travel through the rest of the country. I hope to see as much as I can while I'm here.
Life in Rosario is good. Other than the occasional hailstorm destroying the city, it's a nice place. Hot and humid. Some days, the air is so dewey sweet you don't even need to lick the stamps. Mujeres hermosas.

Buenos aires is reasonably cheap for food and very cheap for public transport .
Rents are certainly not cheap anymore and many people are very unhappy with this

"ramon" said:
Buenos aires is reasonably cheap for food and very cheap for public transport .
Rents are certainly not cheap anymore and many people are very unhappy with this
The lack of flexible access to mortgage loans is the reason why rentals are so expensive. I had trouble finding our place myself. In terms of real estate, rentals have not yet reached their historic values - 1% of the property value. So if for locals is hard getting a decent rental, it gets worse for expats especially with no garantias. Hopefully we will have easier access to mortgage loans in the near future, only then, rentals will be more affordable.

"nikad" said:
I was just thinking of the phrase ¨Hacerse la America¨ that means something similar to ¨Make money here and then return to the home country¨.
Niky, you might be right but I always thought that the quote was more along the lines of "Hacer la America"...to make or build America. Can you give a cite? I've always been fond of that quote and even used in my own immigration hearing. Lemme know.

"maskow" said:
I was just thinking of the phrase ¨Hacerse la America¨ that means something similar to ¨Make money here and then return to the home country¨. Niky, you might be right but I always thought that the quote was more along the lines of "Hacer la America"...to make or build America. Can you give a cite? I've always been fond of that quote and even used in my own immigration hearing. Lemme know.
Maskow, ¨hacerse la america¨ is a well known phrase, you can google for it, here are some sample excerpts - btw, where r u from? :)

I have many memories of festivities in my dad’s
farm with other farmer neighbours (e.g., yerras, etc) where many had been born
in Piemonte, Italy, and still with a thick Italian accent used to say that they
had come “para hacerse la America” meaning “to strike it rich” or at least make
a good living.
------
Ya se burló de los españoles que vinieron a América
a hacerse la América, e indirectamente de las grandes pretensiones imperialistas
de una España empobrecida,
------
sean estos los peninsulares que llegaron
a hacerse la America hace 500 anos o quienes no pueden consentir que los
levantamientos legitimos de ayer y de hoy sean expresiones
genuinas
------
inmigrantes que
llegaron a estas tierras a “hacerse la América” escapando de la hambruna europea
producto de guerras y persecuciones.
------
Este crecimiento provocó el aumento de la inmigración europea,
asiática, árabe, etc. deseosos de "hacerse la América"
------
These
are people who discover that making progress in the US requires time, effort
& patience and they usually lack all three. They came to "hacerse la
America". It's a very backward national trait they have. No work ethic at
all.
------
La inmigración había traído a estas tierras a más de un millón