Best 0km SUV

argeiCanuck

Registered
I am in the market for new Argentine wheels. I had 0km EcoSport 2.0 liter before. It was good enough at the time but only 145 hp. Don't like the new EcoSport. Too crammed.
The Jeep Compass is 175 hp. Around $25 k range. No Chinese brands in Argentina?
There used to be several magazines comparing all characteristics options and prices but not anymore.
How to start and what to look for?

I used to drive a Honda CRV which kept going dead twice a month, so after three years I switched to a Toyota RAV 4.

It is a joy to drive: agile, powerful, and trouble-free - no problems in ten years.

I used to drive a Honda CRV which kept going dead twice a month, so after three years I switched to a Toyota RAV 4.

It is a joy to drive: agile, powerful, and trouble-free - no problems in ten years.
hp and price?
Is it within my range of $25 k?

I am in the market for new Argentine wheels. I had 0km EcoSport 2.0 liter before. It was good enough at the time but only 145 hp. Don't like the new EcoSport. Too crammed.
There used to be several magazines comparing all characteristics options and prices but not anymore.
I see quite a few Lifans driving about. Maybe this will help: https://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/vehiculos/blog/camionetas-chinas-argentina

They do seem to have relatively small engines compared to the size of the SUV, with probably 2 tonnes or so of steel.

Japanese cars, like Honda and particularly Toyota, command premium prices. I've heard people refer to a "Toyota tax".

Jeeps don't seem to have a great reputation for reliability.

I'm still driving my 2010 Volvo XC60, it needs some maintenance which I'll get around to next month, I hope. It's been quite reliable in the 4 years it's been mine, and still in very good overall condition. It's big enough to keep most Argentinian drivers at a safe distance, and it has a 3 litre turbo V6 which is enough to get me away from dangerous drivers.

Chinese car maker Chery has been here for 10 years.

Seems to me that vehicles that are made outside of Argentina are priced artificially high. I opted for a locally grown used (2016) Toyota Hilux, but I’ve heard that the SW4’s are made here as well. Either would likely blow your budget unless you opt for an older model. However I’d rather have an older Toyota than a newer anything else…. I’ve driven mine like it’s a rental for 18 months and still super happy with it. Google ”top gear Hilux” and you can see the abuse that they can take, like a timex watch, takes a lickin’ and keeps on ticking.

How about Ford Territory 185 hp. Is it within $25k range?
Strange ,,, all Chinese are below 150 hp.

Last year I paid $23k for a new Hyundai Creta SUV and we're very happy with it. It's the basic model but nicely equipped, good acceleration, lots of interior room. We visited quite a few dealers and did some test drives. The Creta was the only 25k range SUV that had excellent handling, smooth ride and enough room for our whole family.

Any one drive the Chevrolet Tracker? It appears to be the most lowest cost SUV around at $17k.
Any thoughts on its 1.2L engine?

Back