Best bank for low international atm fees?

amcarey

Registered
Hola a todos,

Does anyone know of a good bank here in the US that offers a low international atm fee rate? I am currently banking with Wells Fargo, but they charge 5 USD for every international withdrawal, and the costs are really starting to add up.

Gracias a totales,
amcarey

A third vote for Charles Schwab. I got over U$S 50 in fees refunded last month and they also give the real rate on the currency conversions.

Charles Schwab vote #4. It's the only way to go when you are in AR with all of the dumbass rules about transaction limits and fees that change with a whim and ATMs that run out of cash. It's any ATM, any time and any where. No fees.

Thanks everyone for the quick, helpful responses. Charles Schwab definitely sounds like one of the best options out there. A friend of mine recently told me about another bank called USAA that also reimburses all atm fees up to 15usd per month. Does anyone have any experience with this bank?

Thanks again!

I have USAA...going on almost 15 years now. Great bank! It used to be exclusively for military personnel and their families, but have since opened up their services to everyone. :) Their customer service is exceptional, and I have never gone over the USD15 in fees per month, but I also get paid in a local salary, so I don´t have much need to dip into my US funds very often anyway. I think it´s almost USD 4 that the Argentine banks charge you for every transaction. If you had to withdraw rent every month with the limits that the Argentine ATM´s impose, you may go over just getting out your rent money, but I have no idea what your situation/needs are.

You can check out their site at www.usaa.com. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Is Charles Schwab a brokerage account like E*Trade? Does it require a minimum number of trades or funds?

Did you open the account in the U.S. first or in ARG?

I have Chase right now, but I think I read here that it is different from Chase down there and I am sure there are fees. Any additional info about Schwab, thanks.

Lala said:
I have USAA...going on almost 15 years now. Great bank! It used to be exclusively for military personnel and their families, but have since opened up their services to everyone. :) Their customer service is exceptional, and I have never gone over the USD15 in fees per month, but I also get paid in a local salary, so I don´t have much need to dip into my US funds very often anyway. I think it´s almost USD 4 that the Argentine banks charge you for every transaction. If you had to withdraw rent every month with the limits that the Argentine ATM´s impose, you may go over just getting out your rent money, but I have no idea what your situation/needs are.

You can check out their site at www.usaa.com. Good luck, whatever you decide!
Lala, you mentioned that you get paid in local currency. Do you have a bank account in Argentina that your company directly deposits your pay checks? If so, is one able to open a bank account with only a tourist visa or is a work visa required for that?

Thanks

I actually just switched to Charles Schwabb...the only "catch" with them is that you have to open a brokerage account along with your checking account. However, they say on their website that you don't actually have to use the brokerage account, so it's not really a catch at all. I opened my account in the US, but since it's all online I don't think it matters where you are when you open it. No ATM fees, plus they reimburse all the fees that these damn Argentine banks charge you. It's pretty sweet.

Reactions: A&A
Back