Best Beach Getaway for before Christmas?

NJtoBsAs

Registered
I'm looking to plan a little vacation around December 15 to somewhere with a beach. I don't want to go too far, since it'll only be for a few days, and don't want it to be insanely expensive, either. Any recommendations? We were thinking Punta del Este, but I don't really know anything about it.

What are people's experiences with Punta del Este?

I was just reading up on Punta del Este and it seems a little too expensive, plus doesn't seem to have too much to do. How about Mar del Plata?

Personally, I think Punta del Este stinks. I'd recommend Punta del Diablo instead!

What's Punta del Diablo like? I think I've already ruled out Punta del Este. I'm also considering Pinamar, too, or Mar de los Campos. Would very much appreciate any insight!

Punta del Diablo is on the northeastern coast of Uruguay. If you search the forums for it there were some detailed descriptions posted recently. It's quiet, but fun, and there are some bars and boliches happening that shake things up a bit. Depends on how much you need external stimulation to enjoy yourself. Punta del Diablo is also close to Cabo Polonio, which is a lovely little place that is home to sea lion colonies. I'm sure there's lots of information on the internet about all the aforementioned. Know that going now is low season still, and many of the beach towns in uruguay only get happening with action in January/end of Dec and will be fairly quiet up until then.

Pinamar and Villa Gessel are also nice escapes, but both are much more towns on the beach (Gessel has more going on in terms of a boardwalk, shopping, arcade, etc.) than Punta which is tucked more away (no ATM in town). I'd prefer any of the aforementioned and Mar de los Campos to PdE.

Skip PDE and definitely go somewhere in Rocha. Punta del Diablo is lovely, as is La Pedrera.

I say rent a car once in Montevideo and drive! That way you can spend a night in Cabo Polonio if you want, too. have a fun trip!

After reading some good reviews on TripAdvisor.com, we are trying Carilo, which is near Pinamar, over Christmas. We are renting a car in BA. Even though the rental is expensive, it is cheaper than flying.

Carilo is great. Not sure how you feel about buses, but there is a company called Plusmar that goes nonstop from Retiro to Pinamar. Their suite buses are like first class seats. They even have trashy movies and they give you a snack. It takes four and a half hours. Sit upstairs if you can!

Once you get to Carilo, there are plenty of taxis, and even a local bus, that can get you around from the north part of Pinamar all the way south to Villa Gesell. So, if you want to save your money for eating and other adventures, you can skip renting the car. I've been going down there for years without a car and never really missed one. Plus, you don't have to drive with all of the lunatics on the highway!
Have fun!

Back