Best Beach Getaway for before Christmas?

I'll admit my bias right off the bat, but my name is Brian and I am the owner of El Diablo Tranquilo in Punta del Diablo. 28 year old American I've been here for four years and would be happy to help with any information regarding our place or Rocha in general - I think the best way to get here starts with a ferry and includes a rental car either from Colonia or Montevideo, this gives you the chance to check out all the more interesting towns along the Rocha coast, not just us but La Pedrera, Cabo Polonio, and Valizas as well. Also gives you the chance to drive in and out through the gamut of Punta Ballena, Punta del Este, La Barra, and Jose Ignacio, and while being all the time you need to get a feel for that stretch (if that's what you really want in a beach, I'd suggest heading back to the States instead of coming to Uruguay) it does give you the perfect chance for a great meal on your way in and out of Rocha, as there are some exceptional restaurants on the way.

Hope this helps, feel free to contact directly at brian (at) eldiablotranquilo (dot) com if I can help with any other knowledge of the region.w

EDTBrian said:
I'll admit my bias right off the bat, but my name is Brian and I am the owner of El Diablo Tranquilo in Punta del Diablo. 28 year old American I've been here for four years and would be happy to help with any information regarding our place or Rocha in general - I think the best way to get here starts with a ferry and includes a rental car either from Colonia or Montevideo, this gives you the chance to check out all the more interesting towns along the Rocha coast, not just us but La Pedrera, Cabo Polonio, and Valizas as well. Also gives you the chance to drive in and out through the gamut of Punta Ballena, Punta del Este, La Barra, and Jose Ignacio, and while being all the time you need to get a feel for that stretch (if that's what you really want in a beach, I'd suggest heading back to the States instead of coming to Uruguay) it does give you the perfect chance for a great meal on your way in and out of Rocha, as there are some exceptional restaurants on the way.

Hope this helps, feel free to contact directly at brian (at) eldiablotranquilo (dot) com if I can help with any other knowledge of the region.w

Diablo Tranquilo is a lovely place. We go to PdelD quite often and always find ourselves at the Tranquilo Diablo bar or meeting some people staying at Diablo Tranquilo (we usually book a cabana as we usually travel in a big group).

We are going again around 10-16th December and looking forward to Tranquilo's dangerous caipirinhas.

In my opinion best time to visit Rocha, prices are still in low season but it is the middle of summer. Would stand corrected though, as I'm just a tourist ;)

I spent a weekend in Carilo. Very beautiful spot. Nicely wooded. Beautiful homes. Great beach...small central area with a couple of small restaurants and markets..and that is about it. I thought it got a little dull after a while. You can of course grab a bus to Villa G or Pinamar for more to do but Carilo, in my opinion, is for relaxing and peace and quiet. I am in the minority and I like Mar del so what do I know? I like the energy there and the variety of things to do and the crowds don't bother me there...at home in the US crowds drive me to distraction....in Argentina...not so much.

kjhebert said:
For anyone who can afford it, Punte Del Este is a great place.
That's definitely personal opinion, kjhebert. You couldn't pay me to spend a week there. Different strokes apply.

Back