Best city besides Buenos Aires for foreigner to live in?

That's beside the point lol. Everyone should experience it at least once.... And everything this person desires exists here.

Windswept? Yes
Desert? Yes
Fruit? Yes
Tourists? No
Real Argentina BS? Yes
Tranqui? Mostly.
Rivers? Yes
Drove through a peripheral part of this region and it was indeed stunning. More my type of landscape than 7 Lagos Andean area.

Which things are you unhappy with that Reply Guy was referring to?

Drove through a peripheral part of this region and it was indeed stunning. More my type of landscape than 7 Lagos Andean area.

Which things are you unhappy with that Reply Guy was referring to?
Protests and pickets run your life, Lines everywhere, poor costumer service in all aspects, Hard/inconvenient to get to, little to no food variety, "expensive" by Arg standards. Very rural type behind the times attitudes on a lot of things. Don't get me wrong the people are nice but they're living in a time more like 50 years ago.

Appreciate the detail. Here's my take.

Protests and pickets run your life - only in big cities

Lines everywhere - only I'm big cities

poor costumer service in all aspects - fair

Hard/inconvenient to get to - significant problem for me

little to no food variety - not a prob if you prefer to eat at home

"expensive" - generally cheaper than Uruguay, Chile, Brazil except for manufactured products like clothes. Overall I would guess cheaper.

by Arg standards - logically this should be listed as a separate point called salary or business income. Not a prob for a retiree.

Very rural type behind the times attitudes on a lot of things. Don't get me wrong the people are nice but they're living in a time more like 50 years ago. - sounds great

Are you East Asian? If a collapse comes, you want to blend into the local population.
No. White guy. Native of PNW but sent to Taiwan as an expat in '98 and stayed. I visited ARG in 1996 with the idea of epatting there but ended up in Asia when my company sent me there. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Worked out well for me professionally but wasn't the right long-term solution.

Appreciate the detail. Here's my take.

Protests and pickets run your life - only in big cities

Lines everywhere - only I'm big cities

poor costumer service in all aspects - fair

Hard/inconvenient to get to - significant problem for me

little to no food variety - not a prob if you prefer to eat at home

"expensive" - generally cheaper than Uruguay, Chile, Brazil except for manufactured products like clothes. Overall I would guess cheaper.

by Arg standards - logically this should be listed as a separate point called salary or business income. Not a prob for a retiree.

Very rural type behind the times attitudes on a lot of things. Don't get me wrong the people are nice but they're living in a time more like 50 years ago. - sounds great
not true about pickets only in big cities. NQN is an oil town, and unions regularly block key roads to get their messages across.

and the line to check out at the NQN Coto is one of the worst I've experienced in this country.

not true about pickets only in big cities. NQN is an oil town, and unions regularly block key roads to get their messages across.

and the line to check out at the NQN Coto is one of the worst I've experienced in this country.
Ha, wow that could be irritating. Luckily I plan to live outside any place that big. Can you shop groceries online and have them delivered?

Ha, wow that could be irritating. Luckily I plan to live outside any place that big. Can you shop groceries online and have them delivered?
In theory yes, in practice could be difficult to impossible. First you would need a dni.

In BA, I buy dry goods in bulk at MercadoLibre, then shop for produce, meat and bread at small neighborhood stores. Great personalized service, and no lines.

The route 40 drive from Mendoza to Salta will bring you through many dry small towns. San Juan towns outside that city, lIke Jachal, though I like the smaller parallel route farther east through Barreal to finally arrive to Jachal. Then onto La Rioja province to see canyons of Talampaya national park, and the neighboring national park which I forget. I do not know La Rioja city, but have stayed days in small town of Anillaco which benefit$ from being the hometown of Carlos Menem. Cafayate is a dry touristy plaza, then Cachi. Lots of cactus, llama and guanaco. Along the way decide to go, or not, to the cities of Tucumán and Salta. We have made it as far north as Jujuy which is also in Salta Province.

Back