Best Coffee Roaster in Buenos Aires - Padre

the coffee was first of all cool, it should be hot and I did not care for the taste. Three times in a row, sorry too much even though I have class right around the corner. My prof who lives two blocks away agreed with me. It is really sad to see the commercial and marketing side developed when focus should be on the product.
Interesting report. As the saying goes 'there's no accounting for taste'. Surprised, as they've been super responsive with me, accommodating and the quality of the roasted beans and the coffee it makes is outstanding. But I live too far away to be dropping in for a cup of coffee in the shop. What are you referring to here "It is really sad to see the commercial and marketing side developed when focus should be on the product."? They seem to be all about the product and no commercial/marketing side. They're virtually invisible in Buenos Aires.

I've been a few times to Padre to have a coffee and found it fine, but there are other quality coffeeshops in Palermo I prefer. I also found it unusually dark and gloomy inside during daytime even if it is bright and sunny outside!

Interesting report. As the saying goes 'there's no accounting for taste'. Surprised, as they've been super responsive with me, accommodating and the quality of the roasted beans and the coffee it makes is outstanding. But I live too far away to be dropping in for a cup of coffee in the shop. What are you referring to here "It is really sad to see the commercial and marketing side developed when focus should be on the product."? They seem to be all about the product and no commercial/marketing side. They're virtually invisible in Buenos Aires.
It was a sincere answer to your question, no need to make it a quarrel, certainly not my style.
Marketing is all over as soon as you get in from T's to cups what have you; basic Marketing 201 in college about product merchandise.
Regarding my taste buds, you might have a point. I will remember to have an account for taste on my next cup of coffee in April on my 68th country visit. I guess I have a long way to go.Thanks for the recommendation;-)

When you brought up the question I took the time to ask around, sorry if I killed your sales pitch

It was a sincere answer to your question, no need to make it a quarrel, certainly not my style.
Marketing is all over as soon as you get in from T's to cups what have you; basic Marketing 201 in college about product merchandise.
Regarding my taste buds, you might have a point. I will remember to have an account for taste on my next cup of coffee in April on my 68th country visit. I guess I have a long way to go.Thanks for the recommendation;-)
When you brought up the question I took the time to ask around, sorry if I killed your sales pitch
Genuinely trying to understand your criticisms, since I'm holding Padre in high regard and enthusiastic to find a high quality coffee roaster that can be recommended to others. Would definitely like to see them succeed.
We had distinctly different impressions on visiting their locale and interacting with the owner, staff and the place. Based on mine I must admit yours don't make sense, but some people prefer to complain.

I think perhaps as a roaster for coffee to take away they very well might be great and since they went out of their way to help you perfect a blend to suit you that has likely amped up your love for them. I've also been into the cafe and just didn't like the vibe or coffee as much as I do other places. It was dark and felt more like a bar than a cafe to me. It wasn't terrible but I like the smaller, quaint joints. I'm also a medium to light roast gal and have found amazing coffee beans at a few places I adore so...as you know...once you find a few favorites it's hard to be swayed. I'm sure Padre did right by you but I think it might be a different experience since you contacted them to special order and thus had an in with the owner. When I went nobody was overly friendly or chatty and there weren't many people there. Perhaps ordering a roast and being known there is one thing but as someone who just went in for coffee, my experience was just ok. I've been to other cafes in the area that are friendlier and whose coffee I enjoy more. But, I believe all businesses have off days. Someone not loving all the places I love doesn't make them wrong just means I've been lucky to have outstanding experiences within while others might not. And, thankfully we all have different tastes to support the plethora of local business that abounds in this vast city. So glad not everybody loves everything I do, or I wouldn't be able to secure a seat. haha

I think perhaps as a roaster for coffee to take away they very well might be great and since they went out of their way to help you perfect a blend to suit you that has likely amped up your love for them. I've also been into the cafe and just didn't like the vibe or coffee as much as I do other places. It was dark and felt more like a bar than a cafe to me. It wasn't terrible but I like the smaller, quaint joints. I'm also a medium to light roast gal and have found amazing coffee beans at a few places I adore so...as you know...once you find a few favorites it's hard to be swayed. I'm sure Padre did right by you but I think it might be a different experience since you contacted them to special order and thus had an in with the owner. When I went nobody was overly friendly or chatty and there weren't many people there. Perhaps ordering a roast and being known there is one thing but as someone who just went in for coffee, my experience was just ok. I've been to other cafes in the area that are friendlier and whose coffee I enjoy more. But, I believe all businesses have off days. Someone not loving all the places I love doesn't make them wrong just means I've been lucky to have outstanding experiences within while others might not. And, thankfully we all have different tastes to support the plethora of local business that abounds in this vast city. So glad not everybody loves everything I do, or I wouldn't be able to secure a seat. haha
Appreciate your thoughts and experience. i'm also picky about where I hang my hat for a coffee and yes, haha I hesitate to recommend places I love in case it becomes so crowded I can't get in there anymore. Their willingness to go out of their way to make a dark roast coffee in small volume has won my devotion. It's rare and in a town that frustratingly doesn't make dark roast coffee, extremely rare. I did get to know the owner, but there was no "in", I contacted Padre and worked out the roasts via Messenger on Facebook. They were really responsive, polite, helpful, timely, communicative. I only met the owner when he hand delivered my first 1/4 kg of roasted beans to my apartment in Recoleta.
My own experience when I went there was that I was warmly greeted, it was well lit, airy, ample seating, the coffee roasters and main bar up front had a giant blackboard overhead full of technically oriented details on coffee. They're very specific on the origins of beans / coffees they offer. All encouraging signs for a coffee geek, I was in the right place and good hands. I didn't hang out there and on the street and around the corner there looked like interesting little cafes to take a coffee. I enjoy drinking mine at home :)

Appreciate your thoughts and experience. i'm also picky about where I hang my hat for a coffee and yes, haha I hesitate to recommend places I love in case it becomes so crowded I can't get in there anymore. Their willingness to go out of their way to make a dark roast coffee in small volume has won my devotion. It's rare and in a town that frustratingly doesn't make dark roast coffee, extremely rare. I did get to know the owner, but there was no "in", I contacted Padre and worked out the roasts via Messenger on Facebook. They were really responsive, polite, helpful, timely, communicative. I only met the owner when he hand delivered my first 1/4 kg of roasted beans to my apartment in Recoleta.
My own experience when I went there was that I was warmly greeted, it was well lit, airy, ample seating, the coffee roasters and main bar up front had a giant blackboard overhead full of technically oriented details on coffee. They're very specific on the origins of beans / coffees they offer. All encouraging signs for a coffee geek, I was in the right place and good hands. I didn't hang out there and on the street and around the corner there looked like interesting little cafes to take a coffee. I enjoy drinking mine at home :)
Buenos Aires has been fortunate lately to see many small roasters and cafes sprouting up. When I moved here in 2013 you couldn't find specialty coffees at all. If I recall Full City was the first doing terrific Colombian blends, then Lattente. And, the rest...shall we say...is history. I find so many of the small cafes are incredibly passionate about their products, educating the public, and the craft of it all which is so nice to see. Also, very nice to see employees so excited to make and share a stellar cup of coffee, a latte, and the food offerings at these places...nothing to scoff at either. I'm so glad you found Padre to be outstanding and finally found that coveted dark roast you were after and a place to enjoy grabbing a coffee. It is in a nice area, that seems to be the small cafe epicenter there in Palermo though finally some places opening in other neighborhoods. Recoleta used to have a Coffeetown I loved but they moved it to...you guessed it...Palermo. haha I have about five cafes I've grown to adore but always trying anything new.

Buenos Aires has been fortunate lately to see many small roasters and cafes sprouting up. When I moved here in 2013 you couldn't find specialty coffees at all. If I recall Full City was the first doing terrific Colombian blends, then Lattente. And, the rest...shall we say...is history. I find so many of the small cafes are incredibly passionate about their products, educating the public, and the craft of it all which is so nice to see. Also, very nice to see employees so excited to make and share a stellar cup of coffee, a latte, and the food offerings at these places...nothing to scoff at either. I'm so glad you found Padre to be outstanding and finally found that coveted dark roast you were after and a place to enjoy grabbing a coffee. It is in a nice area, that seems to be the small cafe epicenter there in Palermo though finally some places opening in other neighborhoods. Recoleta used to have a Coffeetown I loved but they moved it to...you guessed it...Palermo. haha I have about five cafes I've grown to adore but always trying anything new.
Nice. Welcome your thoughts here. If you're inclined would be great if you'd list, especially the small roasters, a description and location of your coffee recommends. This thread could be a repository on coffee roasters and coffee cafes that doesn't exist anywhere at the moment.
If you're in or near Villa Crespo there's a place that Tónico Café on Riobamba features called Puerto Blest. Tónico says Puerto Blest is importing it's own green beans. Thames 1085. The day I went everything was shuttered.
Cafe olé !!

Glad that all have agreed on the degree of roasting, etc.

This comment may create some noise here..!

Went to a store where they sell Nespresso capsules, and a cute girl offered me a free small cup as a sample with 2 shots of Nespresso Kazaar Blend? I must say it was one of the best coffee flavors of an exceptional intensity, great body with a dense and creamy texture..!

Impressed with the easiness to operate the Nespresso Machine , insert the capsule and push the button! About US$100 for the Basic Nespresso model..!

Any recommended cafes in Palermo that offer nespresso coffee to drink there? "Nespresso Cafe & Patisserie "

PS ; No program yet to recycle the Nespresso Capsules?

For Roasters I still really love Full City (Palermo) beans but also buy often from LAB(Palermo Hollywood), LattenTe(Palermo and Las Cañitas), and Coffeetown (Palermo and San Telmo)-for my morning cup at home. Those that serve a great coffee outside of those mentioned above include Öss (Belgrano), Felix Felicis & Co. (Palermo), Cuervo Cafe (Palermo & Palermo Hollywood), Negro Cafe (Centro & Tribunales), Ribera Cafe (Barrio Norte), La Union Café (Centro) All Saints Cafe (Belgrano and Alto Palermo Shopping Mall), and Usina Cafetera (Barrio Norte/Recoleta). Some of these places also use Puerto Blest while others use beans from various local roasters if not roasting their own. I heard Cafe Registrado(Palermo Hollywood) is also nice as well as La Noire Café (Chacarita) but haven't been able to get to either of them yet.

Back