Best Fernet Brands to Try

talbur

Registered
I picked up a bottle of Nero 53 to try. I thought I would explore a few different brands.

Anyone have thoughts/picks/preferences on varieties out there?

Oh and the Nero 53? Its a little smoky, minty, hint of caramel. -All in comparison to the Branca standard, of course.

I would be very interested to read a few of our forumite reviews of different fernets. I have been too scared to venture out of Branca territory just yet.

How much did the Nero53 cost?

The cost for the Nero was about 5% less than Branca. Other Fernet brands are roughly half the cost of Branca. (Vittone, 1882)

Between the Nero and Branca, I'd say I prefer the Branca, but there is still a benefit - in my mind- to adding a little variety.

Nero is only 31% ABV I think, whilst Fernet Branca is 39%. So you’re also getting less
Bang for your buck.

How do you drink your Fernet? In Argentina it seems to be always with Coke, which to my mind is a fate deserved by cheap hooch like low-end Chilean Pisco, JW Red Label, and so on, while any better quality spirits can be drunk on their own, or with water or ice.

Depends on the moods I am in. Mostly neat in a tumbler with ice but on Christmas and New Years its always with Coke.

Mainly with coke in ever decreasing quantities of coke.
Sometimes drink it neat as a digestivo.

a couple years ago a buddy of mine came to visit here and we would always order fernet straight up sin coca in a pint glass. they always looked at us funny :)

If I want to sip something it’s either, Zacapa XO, Lagavullin or lately made a big dent in a bottle of Hennessy XO.

I just bought a bottle of Cestari, which is made in Mercedes. But I haven’t opened it yet. 670 pesos.

Back