Best neighborhood for 6 weeks with a 2 year old

SDtoBA

Registered
We are going to be staying in BA for six weeks in October-November this year.

My husband will be working at a cancer center in Agronomia. I will be working part-time from home. We have a 2 year old.

We want to live in a family friendly neighborhood that is a good base from which to explore the city. Where should we live?

Thanks!

Agronomia is part of UBA and most of the campus is open to the public. There are some beautiful residences on and off the campus (any possibility that you might be offered a home on one of the old academic residence blocks by the university itself?) and some nice residential areas around and about. Angel Roffo suburban railway station is ten minutes from the Federico Lacroze terminal in Chacarita where a connection with the subway system (Subte) will take you to any part of the city. Would that be near enough for your explorations? A little further out, Villa del Parque and Devoto are also family friendly neighbourhoods. Other people can tell you more about city centre neighbourhoods but commuting into work every day won't be much fun for your husband.

Agronomia is kind of hard to get to from most places- its nice, but if you want to experience the city, I would agree that Chacarita or Villa Crespo would be nicer day to day. Villa Devoto, near Plaza Arenales, is very nice and peaceful. You would need to be pretty fluent in Spanish, its a residential, quiet, area, but again, somewhat hard to get to the more interesting areas from. Thing is, both Agronomia and Villa Devoto have no Subte, and the bus (colectivo) rides from there are pretty long. Whereas over by Corrientes, in Chacarita or Villa Crespo, you have multiple subte stops, and many more bus routes. Paternal, on the south side of San Martin, is a nice quiet neighborhood, too, and a bit more accessible. If you have a car, then the farther out barrios like Villa Devoto would be ok, although driving in town gets old fast.

I've never lived anywhere else so I guess I've got used to nipping in and out of the city by the most convenient public transport links from thereabouts. One thing I will mention: the work to upgrade the San Martin railway line out of Retiro seems to be taking forever and the service is continually in a mess. The Urquiza line, which runs right through Agronomia on it's way to Chacarita seems to continue to be pretty reliable.

I'm bias because I lived in Villa del Parque with my family for 12 years. It's not touristy, but neither is it boring. It takes a bit longer to get to more touristy places, but for your husband it would take little time to get to Agronomia. There's a nice plaza for the kids, with shops, resaurants, amd supermarkets near by. Chacarita can be a bit more dicey as it is a train/subte/bus hub and tends to see a lot of traffic during peak periods alhtough it's closer to Palermo and Belgrano. To me it's been a good balance of things despite the public transit weirdness of the area... a lot of the time- that's a good thing.

Again, I would consider Parque Rivadavia in Caballito, right on top of Acoye subway A station that will place you in downtown in about 20 min.
Plenty of shops, restos, movie, and a huge park with games for children. And it is lively in week ends, unlike Balvanera.

I know that if I did not know the city, and was only going to be here six weeks, I would want to live in Palermo Botanico, hands down, especially if I had a 2 year old. Six weeks is different from 12 years.
Between Las Heras and Libertador, its a perfect neighborhood to spend six weeks- safe, family friendly, a very short walk to the most beautiful parks, museums, and gardens. Great public transport, never more than a minute wait to get a taxi, and all kinds of visitor friendly stores, groceries, and restaurants.
Papa can take the train from Juan B Justo station.

Learning the ways of Villa Parque is a multi year process.
Enjoying six weeks in Buenos Aires is very different from moving your family to a good neighborhood for schools, parking, and low long term housing costs.
Someplace like this is where I would stay.
https://www.bytargentina.com/propview1.php?view=334&barrio[]=81

Back