Best U.S.-based bank for expats in Argentina

Has anyone had any negative experiences with Charles Schwab that would make me re-think this?
In over ten years, none whatsoever, but I do have a US address for my account with them:

PS: It's possible to go "paperless" with Schwab accounts, and that might eliminate not having a US address as a potential problem.

One great service Schwab offers is they will send a check in any amount (subject to available funds) to anyone the account holder specifies.

My cousin in Florida sent some items I bought on ebay (over several months) to a friend in California who was coming to Argentina and offered to bring them to me. I sent Schwab a fax with my cousin's name and address and they sent her a check to cover the cost of sending the items to my friend. Schwab does not charge for this service.

Can you provide where they talk about this check-sending service on their website? It seems interesting, but cannot find info.

In over ten years, none whatsoever, but I do have a US address for my account with them:

PS: It's possible to go "paperless" with Schwab accounts, and that might eliminate not having a US address as a potential problem.

To open a Schwab Bank High Yield Investor checking account requires having and maintaining a US address. I chose to go "paperless" as soon as that option became available. That did not eliminate the requirement to have a US address. I don't know if same applies to opening/maintaining other types of accounts with them.

Last edited:
I'll be using my mother's U.S. address for my U.S. bank account. Thanks to everyone! This was very helpful.

There are people (some on the forum) that can get this done for about the same fee or slightly higher, no questions asked.
You wire money in the US, receive cash here in USD or pesos.
I would like to be introduced to such people. I am a model of discretion with a semi-hefty bank balance in the USA! USA!

Back