Best Way To Move A Few Suitcases To Argentina??

Kraeall

Registered
Hello there!!

I have decided to move back to Argentina for permanent. I am stuck with deciding the safest way to get my luggage sent to Bs As. I am afraid that it might get held in customs/"lost"..etc. I will be going to Italy for 3 months before buying my ticket from Italy to Bs As. So, I have decided that I will send a couple of suitcases to my boyfriend's house in the Federal Capital before leaving to Italy. I am leaving getting rid of most of my possessions here in the States and am hoping to take an extra large suitcase of clothes and another suitcase with clothes/products that I will not be able to find in Argentina. I have a few questions for those of you who have moved your entire life (a household of items) or a substantial amount of belongings upon relocating to Argentina.

1. What is the best service to use overall? I am more concerned about safety (FedEx and UPS seem to be WAY more expensive, but far more common)
2. Should I expect hassle with my Argentine boyfriend picking up my suitcases for me?
3. Are there extra fees from customs assuming the suitcases have only personal belongings? (I do not plan on bringing any electronics that aren't mine or things that I intend to sell, but I will have a lot of new beauty products)

Any advice at all would be amazing!! I was also thinking about taking 2 check on suitcases to Italy plus a carry on and my backpack as a safer and cheaper option.....the only problem is I will not want to have so much to carry and keep track of.

it will be cheaper, easier, and more reliable to buy a ticket, and fly down yourself, bringing the suitcases.
there is NO service like Fed EX that will be cheaper than just paying for extra luggage. (including your plane fare)
And most likely, your suitcases will not make it if you send them alone.

Bite the bullet, and fly to Italy via Buenos Aires. Bring 5 suitcases if you want- the hundred or hundred and fifty dollars extra bag charge is the cheapest way, the safest way, and besides, you can have a fuggazeta on your layover.

Sending the suitcases alone to your boyfriend wont work. He wont get them. Most likely you wont see them again, but if you do, it will be back in the US, and you will be a lot poorer.

Fly down yourself, take the bags.
Really.

Agreed with Ries. It's best just to bring your stuff with you. Shipping is a major freaking hassle and forget the boyfriend bag pickup. I flew down with 8 suitcases and a dog and everything made it to BAcit easy as pie. Worth the time, money and hassle to know everything would arrive.

Thank you all so much for your advice!! I did buy my ticket already to Italy. So, now I have to figure out how much I can take to Italy comfortably.

I had a feeling that it would come to this with shipping.....too good to be true.

Thank you all so much for your advice!! I did buy my ticket already to Italy. So, now I have to figure out how much I can take to Italy comfortably.

I had a feeling that it would come to this with shipping.....too good to be true.
When you get to Italy just look for a place to store your extra bags until you leave. Go directly there, leave your bags, have fun and pick them up on your way out of Italy.

T/

Do you know of a place where I might be able to do this? I will be there for 3 months backpacking around

Back