Best Website For Dolar Blue

So what is the best website to rely on in 2023 and 2024? I see lanacion shows 905 compra. Infobae shows 935 compra. I looked at many other websites they are split 50/50 in whether they show 935 or 905.

I have observed that Infobae updates the fastest. The all usually catch up within an hour. For La Nación and Clarin, go to their daily articles, don't look at the numbers they show in tha banner at the top.

But there's another thing to consider. Since the PASO, the various cuevas that I use are often offering worse prices than what the newspapers say. It's not really surprising with the amount of price volatility that there's been. Right now the dollar blue is nearly 25% off its high, and the price swings have been frequent and as large as I've ever seen them.

(I use the cuevas a lot, selling small quantities at a time to try to protect myself from that same volatility, and also because I generally don't want to be sitting with a lot of extra pesos unless I think that the price has run up too far too fast.)

So what is the best website to rely on in 2023 and 2024? I see lanacion shows 905 compra. Infobae shows 935 compra. I looked at many other websites they are split 50/50 in whether they show 935 or 905.
I've been using Dolar Hoy, but I like it less and less as Milei's little sycophant Marra owns it, so I expect some creative accounting will occur once Milei is in office. That being said, we have to see what he does as it will have a big role to play in the rates. I don't think anyone expects him to let there remain a ~90% difference between the BCRA dollar and the CCL/MEP dollar, so if he does something like let all exports/tourist exchanges/regular people exchange money at banks at the CCL/MEP rate to start filling the BCRA reserves ahead of dollarization then we could simply start using Google or the BCRA/BNA website while there could remain a slight premium on dollars at caves, similar to how you get 935 per dollar today vs ~900 with the MEP/CCL.

I don't think caves will go anywhere even when/if we dollarize; people forget that they don't exist only because of the brecha, but also because of money laundering and tax evasion. Caves didn't disappear when Macri was president after all; people still like to move money under the radar, and they'll adapt as such.

I primarily use a couple of apps I've downloaded from the Play store, "Dólar Blue Hoy" and "Ambito Dólar". Both apps have excellent ratings. The apps show the current blue and MEP rates (among others), and have built in calculators to do conversions while shopping and whatnot.

The only thing that's mildly frustrating is that the Visa credit card rate never exactly matches any of the various rates shown in the apps, so doing conversions while shopping is always off by a bit. For example, as I write this the Visa rate is 876, and the apps report that Blue average is 930, MEP is 907, and tarjeta/turista is 966 (not sure what tarjeta is supposed to be since it always differs from the Visa rate by a large amount). So if I want to make a large purchase and want to know exactly how much my card will be charged in USD, the in-app calculators will get me close with the MEP rate, but I still have to rely on Visa's website to pin it down to exact pennies.

I should email the app developers and see if they're able and willing to add Visa as one of their displayed exchange rates, would make things a bit easier.

Back