Beware Of Colonia Express

AmigoArtistico

Registered
We decided to go to Colonia, so my wife called and booked and paid for 2 tickets for the half day fare on Colonia Express (departs La Boca at 12:30, return from Colonia departs at 20:45).

We grabbed a cab and arrived an hour early, at 11:30, as requested.

At 12:30, after sitting around for an hour, they announced that due to the fog, the boat may not leave, but if it did, it wouldn't be until 14:30. Ok. We grabbed a cab and went home, and called Colonia Express at 13:30 to see if it was going out. They said yes, and we needed to come now.

We grabbed another cab, arrived around 13:45, and waited around until about 14:45, when they told us that the boat would be delayed, and they couldn't tell us for how long.

We asked about rebooking, since for us, our half day trip was now shot. They told us we could do that on the internet or by phone, so we grabbed another cab and went home.

We couldn't do anything on the internet. We waited until about 17:00 to call, figuring that they'd be busy sorting out all the rebookings. It's a good thing we called the same day.

The person my wife spoke with was very rude, unsympathetic and unaccommodating. She said that the only way to rebook the ticket was at the dock. (When my wife complained about the cost of taxis incurred because of all the misinformation her company had given us, the woman told her that we should have taken the bus.) My wife finally asked to speak to someone else in the office. He came on the phone and informed my wife that the boat did finally go out, and therefore we had lost our right to rebook, and we had lost our $720. My wife tried to point out that we had bought a half day trip to Colonia, and with the time that the boat went out, we'd lost 4 hours of our half day. Didn't matter. She said many other things. Toward the end of the conversation she said many things that I won't repeat. Didn't matter.

So, we grabbed another cab (number 5), and went back to the dock. There we again argued our case, and finally we were allowed to rebook the the trip (that we had paid for and didn't receive). I wouldn't have bothered, but now I'm going to risk opening myself up for more torture because I just don't want them to get away with it. But it will certainly be my last trip with them, and I'll tell this story to anyone and everyone who will listen.

We grabbed our sixth and last cab of the day (adding, so far, more than $150 in cab fares to our trip, without yet leaving Buenos Aires), and here I am, writing this cautionary tale.

[By the way, while we were all waiting (and waiting), various times, we spoke with at least 7 or 8 people who had normally used Buquebus and were using Colonia Express for the first time. Those returning to Colonia all relayed stories of additional bad Colonia Express experiences on their trips to Buenos Aires -- primarily hours long delays for seemingly no reason -- and of all those we spoke with, they were unanimous in that this would be their last Colonia Express experience. Amen.]

You are not thinking like an Argentine and you did not handle this situation like an Argentine. If your wife is Argentine, I don't know what got into her.

Nothing in this story surprises me. I can also say that I've been to Uruguay more than 10 times and have never had a bad experience service-wise with Colonia Express. The last time I went with Colonia Express, the boat was rocking up and down so violently that two thirds of the passengers were vomiting. That is not an exaggeration. The staff was outstanding, running up and down the aisles with paper bags, helping people who had been injured in some way while trying to maneuver around the boat, etc. The swells were so high I can't believe they didn't turn around. Maybe it was too late.

But that's the thing about this place. One person's favorite restaurant with the best food and service will be another person's worst nightmare, etc. etc. I'm sorry about your experience; I know how wearing experiences like it can be and I've done my fair share of complaining about such things on the forum. But spend more time here and if the same situation occurs, you won't go home to wait and you won't believe them when they tell you that you can do things over phone or internet. They told you that so they wouldn't have to deal with you. You will stay, you will pitch a fit in a manner that would never occur to you to do back home, and maybe, just maybe, you will get what you want. Why? Because they don't want to deal with you pitching a fit. See how it works?

Ugh so sorry to hear about this :( I was tempted by Club La Nacion 2x1 with Colonia Express, but after reading the reviews, I decided to pay a bit more and use Buquebus. I believe it is actually SC the one to go with as it uses Buquebus´ships but it is cheaper. If I was you, I would post this all over their Facebook page ;) It usually gets things moving and managers looking into these things.

http://club.lanacion.com.ar/ficha.asp?idSucursal=8208

So sorry to hear that :( I guess it is not just you though http://club.lanacion.com.ar/ficha.asp?idSucursal=8208

I agree a lot with DMM's post.

I don't know if AA is here since many years (no clue) but I used to try to make a point claiming, trying to prove my point & the unfairness of the situation.
Now, after years here, I tend to react like an Argentinian, which means I'll still yell (but in a different manner), and will at some point calculate my EV (6 R/T in taxis to this ugly terminal, near La Boca, under an highway bridge to get refunded...).

At some point in Argentina, you need to know when to say Ya ffueeeeee. (no moralistic tone implied, just irony)

You are not thinking like an Argentine and you did not handle this situation like an Argentine. If your wife is Argentine, I don't know what got into her.

Nothing in this story surprises me. I can also say that I've been to Uruguay more than 10 times and have never had a bad experience service-wise with Colonia Express. The last time I went with Colonia Express, the boat was rocking up and down so violently that two thirds of the passengers were vomiting. That is not an exaggeration. The staff was outstanding, running up and down the aisles with paper bags, helping people who had been injured in some way while trying to maneuver around the boat, etc. The swells were so high I can't believe they didn't turn around. Maybe it was too late.

But that's the thing about this place. One person's favorite restaurant with the best food and service will be another person's worst nightmare, etc. etc. I'm sorry about your experience; I know how wearing experiences like it can be and I've done my fair share of complaining about such things on the forum. But spend more time here and if the same situation occurs, you won't go home to wait and you won't believe them when they tell you that you can do things over phone or internet. They told you that so they wouldn't have to deal with you. You will stay, you will pitch a fit in a manner that would never occur to you to do back home, and maybe, just maybe, you will get what you want. Why? Because they don't want to deal with you pitching a fit. See how it works?

Believe me, I know how things work here. I've been here more than ten years, and my wife's been here -- let's just say a long, long time.

We didn't stay and "pitch a fit" because there were 50-60 people ahead of us in the line at the port waiting to "pitch a fit." (And by the way, as you probably know, "pitching a fit" only works sometimes.)

I've had dozens and dozens of this type of "Argentine experience," and I learned long ago to accept them (as well as I can) as part of life here.

However, this experience was particularly bad, which is why I took the time to document it.

I'm glad that you haven't had any bad experiences with Colonia Express, but I'm quickly learning that you may have just been lucky so far (did you look at nikad's link?).

As far as the actual boat experience, I couldn't tell you, as I've not managed to make it that far yet.

Do as you please, but after this it will be strictly Buquebus for me.

It should also be said that there are many, many good, honest and fair businesses in Argentina, which makes it important to point out to others when you run into a particularly bad one.

I've avoided problems by having advance warnings about certain businesses by reading forums like this one.

I've also learned about a lot of great businesses (and other things) on this forum, which have contributed greatly to the many positive aspects of my life in Argentina.

I went on Wednesday (incredibly sunny day) with no problems, we arrived about 20 minutes later than expected in each direction, but I bought a packet that included a 90 minute walking tour which was great. Overall no problems. I didn't like that it was in La Boca but honestly took about 15 minutes longer on the same bus (i was taking the 130 bus from Nuñez- already an hour to Buquebus). I was happy for the cheaper fare and no hiccups. ....Guess you win some, you lose some

Back