BlackTie/Tuxedo Hire in Capt. Fed.

rrptownley

Registered
Hallo,

Im going to a BlackTie event next week and need to rent Full Tux and Shoes.

I went to the same event last year and rented a very cheap looking nylon Tux from a shop on Calle Florida for about 250 pesos.
Today I ventured into the chaqueta esmoquin shop on Las Heras by Hospital Rivadavia and they quoted me butt clenching 600 pesos (though, all said for a nicer suit).

My query is; does anyone know of a place where one can rent a Full Tuxedo for less than 300 pesos that doesnt need to be kept away from sources of ignition?

Many thanks,
Rich

rrptownley said:
. . . I[']m going to a BlackTie event next week and need to rent Full Tux and Shoes.
I went to the same event last year and rented a very cheap looking nylon Tux from a shop on Calle Florida for about 250 pesos.
Today I ventured into the chaqueta esmoquin shop on Las Heras by Hospital Rivadavia and they quoted me butt clenching 600 pesos . . . .
If you're very young (and I suppose that you may be), you may ignore this advice, as your body is still developing. If not, though, consider having a dinner jacket and trousers made for you: perhaps US$1,200 for nice, well-made ones that you can have cut and sewn as you wish and which will look the tailor-made clothes they are instead of betraying themselves as cheap clothes made for and owned by someone else.

Taken good care of, the jacket and trousers will give you a couple hundred wearings, so you could actually afford to wear black tie more than once a year!

Otherwise, just wear a good, dark suit with a white shirt and dark necktie: it's better to wear informal clothes that fit well than a cheap costume, though best is, of course, to dress appropriately and well.

Just to update on happenings....

I already have several formal suits at home back in the UK so I wasn't wanting to buy a whole new suit.
My best quote for tuxedo hire (complete with shirt and shoes) was from a Peter Jones gentlemen's shop on calle Florida near to cordoba, for 550 pesos.
Closely following was 'Ettiquite' on Las Heras near hospital Rivadavia for 600 pesos.
The suits from both of these places are unfortunately a little shiny and cheap in appearance.
The next step up is the dress hire shops for weddings. Here I was quoted between 700 and 1000 pesos for complete tuxedo for one night. A lot, even in pesos. Although if you are going several friends to your event then you can get a hefty discount. There is a store on Luis M. Campos where a friend organising her daughters wedding told me she managed to hire 5 black tie suits for 250 pesos each. Other stores of this type tend to be located on Corrientes.

I myself, on a strict budget, rang the Scottish society to enquire into highland dress and they directed me to one of their members, a chap in Martinez who plays the pipes, he lent me his semi dress kilt for 400 pesos, leaving me to buy adress shirt from corrientes y pueyrredon for 50 more and borrow a bow tie from a friend.

Lots of phone calls but got there in the end...

While riding a bus today (24/09) I noticed a store that sold and rented men´s formal attire. The address is Bernardo de Irigoyen (I think) 142. This street becomes Carlos Pelligrini (9 de Julio)

What I did is have my tux sent to me last year from the States. ~AR$220 for International Priority Express (or something like that). It got here in 5 days (including a Sunday in the middle) along with a few things my parents packed in the box. I found someone to iron the clean shirt for ~AR$5.

This year, I wore the same tux (no shipping required) with only the shirt cleaned. (~AR$5)

Two years my way = AR$230

Two years of rentals = ~AR$1,100 or more.

Lord knows that if you were to think ahead, you could have shipped something from the UK for less than you spent on renting another guy's skirt... just sayin'. But I'm sure that your legs looked great in Scotland's finest cross dressing wear.

:p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Newcomers Forum 1