Boating/Yahting from Buenos Aires question

lia.hawaii

Registered
Hi Everyone,

So I was checking out Puerto Madryn yesterday when I came across this idea...Ive known people to travel around the world for practically free by jumping on board and working on private boats/yahts. Getting to Brazil after living here will be pretty pricey (Im doing a world trip where I stop, work and really get to know places as I go) and the idea of boating up to Brazil suddenly seemed like such an adventurous idea.

Does anyone know any websites, hangouts, etc. any way to best get in touch with people livinghere or passing through here who tend to sailing around, preferably north?? Any insider tips from the boating community here,etc. would be much appreciated, or else Id just have to stalk the dock area :p

Thanks!

I think you are in Puerto Madero, not Puerto Madryn :)

What kind of experience-references do you have? To be perfectly honest, I wouldn´t get on a boat with a skipper who let someone he-she didn´t know crew. There are too many yahoos who believe those lessons they took in boy scouts are sufficient to sail in the ocean. I´ve been a sailor of various sorts - sail, surface ships and submarines - for 40 years and the open ocean (particularly the south Atlantic) is no place to learn how to sail. Have you ever been in rough weather on a boat? Do you get seasick in rough weather - something that may not know until you experience it (if you do, I guarantee that you will want to die). And injuring yourself hundreds of kms from shore can be very serious.

Don´t want to dampen your enthusiasm, but I would suggest the bus. It is pretty cheap.

Cheers, RR

wreReynolds said:
What kind of experience-references do you have? To be perfectly honest, I wouldn´t get on a boat with a skipper who let someone he-she didn´t know crew.

Cheers, RR

Although a valid point, there is a certain camaraderie and a very clear set of rules aboard -every vessel has a captain- . People do this thing all the time in the Mediterranean sometimes to island hop, you pay your way scrubbing the deck.

Robert here s been kind enough to invite people over and he didn't even demanded for us to scrub the deck, which I did anyways / search sailing invitation

lia.hawaii said:
Hi Everyone,

So I was checking out Puerto Madryn yesterday when I came across this idea...Ive known people to travel around the world for practically free by jumping on board and working on private boats/yahts. Getting to Brazil after living here will be pretty pricey (Im doing a world trip where I stop, work and really get to know places as I go) and the idea of boating up to Brazil suddenly seemed like such an adventurous idea.

Does anyone know any websites, hangouts, etc. any way to best get in touch with people livinghere or passing through here who tend to sailing around, preferably north?? Any insider tips from the boating community here,etc. would be much appreciated, or else Id just have to stalk the dock area :p

Thanks!

I Love the idea, have been meaning to do something like this for a while. Be warned though that crossing the Santa Catarina bight is tricky /but maybe not as tricky as managing the currents and undercurrents of the River.

Maybe we could get a group together and rent a small but seaworthy sailboat, only one need to be licensed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Expat Life 7
Back