Boise, Idaho anyone?

nikad

Registered
Any forum member is from Boise, Idaho? How could you compare it to Buenos Aires? We are considering relocating maybe next year ( married couple in late 40s with nursing and computer science degrees and a 12 year old ). Any tips / advice?

There is someone from Boise Idaho here at the moment, until May. I met her this week. When I see her again I tell her about your request. Send me a PM with contact details she can get in touch directly without having to post her views to the world here and risk being corrected by people who know better.

They are about as polar opposite as you can possibly get. Boise is high-functioning even by American standards.
Hmm not sure what you mean with high functioning :D We honestly liked NC but have learned about water contamination and that got us looking for alternative.

Well, for what it's worth, I've never lived there but after my son passed through then told me I really ought to visit, I spent a little time there and loved it. Compared to Buenos Aires it's tiny: about the same population as only Comuna 12 but spread out over ten to fifteen times the area with most of the population on the outskirts. It's clean, it's green with great buildings and you can walk the downtown in an hour or so. Very warm and friendly vibe. Nothing like the density of formal cultural activity of BsAs of course but I figure that people associate with each other and do lots together - music in bars, that sort of thing. I was aware of quite a lot of rural deprivation in wider Idaho but I really enjoyed the city. (Love to know what a resident thinks, @Alby)

Well, for what it's worth, I've never lived there but after my son passed through then told me I really ought to visit, I spent a little time there and loved it. Compared to Buenos Aires it's tiny: about the same population as only Comuna 12 but spread out over ten to fifteen times the area with most of the population on the outskirts. It's clean, it's green with great buildings and you can walk the downtown in an hour or so. Very warm and friendly vibe. Nothing like the density of formal cultural activity of BsAs of course but I figure that people associate with each other and do lots together - music in bars, that sort of thing. I was aware of quite a lot of rural deprivation in wider Idaho but I really enjoyed the city. (Love to know what a resident thinks, @Alby)
Thank you for sharing!

just be aware the extreme right is very prevalent. not sure but think the bundes live there. stay to yourself and enjoy the countryside. good luck. great place to ski and fish. really down to earth people and dont like the federal government.

(Love to know what a resident thinks, @Alby)

just be aware the extreme right is very prevalent.

This is precisely why I'll first give the recently-landed "Boisean" (yes, that's the demonym apparently), who has fortuitously appeared in BsAs at precisely the right moment y en tiempo y forma as if conjured up by Nikad herself, the option of communicating in private. Of course, she might choose to join this website too and step into the fray publicly. But that'll be up to her.

Last edited:
This is precisely why I'll first give the recently-landed "Boisean" (yes, that's the demonym apparently), who has fortuitously appeared in BsAs at precisely the right moment y en tiempo y forma as if conjured up by Nikad herself, the option of communicating in private. Of course, she might choose to join this website too and step into the fray publicly. But that'll be up to her.
I'm not sure why you and a few others think communication in cases like these should be via direct message only. That deprives the rest of us of information. Sure there are times when people give uniformed, baseless opinions, talking about things they have no real knowledge of, or will correct someone who actually does know about something, but those kinds of estupideces are usually corrected by other members. And in this case in point, just because I'm from a place that doesn't mean that I know all there is to know about that place or don't have my own biases or blinders on about certain things. Sometimes those from the outside have read, know or can see things natives don't or can't. Just yesterday having an ultrasound, the doctor told me something about the US that I had never thought of, never considered, and he doesn't live there or know it that well. And I had lived 55 years of my life there, except for one year in Spain, before coming to live here seven years ago.

Last edited:
Back