Books on Cuba

Gringoboy

Registered
I've just finished Fidel Castro: My Life, a spoken biography.
http://books.google.com.ar/books/about/Fidel_Castro_My_Life.html?id=45yJZHaan-8C&redir_esc=y

Expected, maybe more in hope, that this would be both revealing and a page turner. It was neither, unfortunately.
It was more telling for what he wouldn't talk about.

So, I stayed on the theme of Cuba and have started Mi Moto Fidel, by Chris Baker, which has proved a darn sight more revealing about the real Cuba.
If you can get passed the lad's voracious libido, it's well worth a read.

God if there could be such a thing as Cuban dirty realism. I just picked up Selected Writings of Jose Marti !

Gringoboy said:
I've just finished Fidel Castro: My Life, a spoken biography.
http://books.google.com.ar/books/about/Fidel_Castro_My_Life.html?id=45yJZHaan-8C&redir_esc=y

Expected, maybe more in hope, that this would be both revealing and a page turner. It was neither, unfortunately.
It was more telling for what he wouldn't talk about.

So, I stayed on the theme of Cuba and have started Mi Moto Fidel, by Chris Baker, which has proved a darn sight more revealing about the real Cuba.
If you can get passed the lad's voracious libido, it's well worth a read.
I read Baker's book years ago. A nice read I thought. I would also recommend "Trading With the Enemy" by Tom Miller. Its excellent. If you want the definitive look at Che Guevara check out Jon Lee Anderson's "Che Guevara:A Revolutionary Life". You could pretty much dispense with most, if not all, of the other books on Che if you read Anderson. My two cents.

I would also recommend "Trading With the Enemy" by Tom Miller. Yes. Absolutely one of the best... An absolute gem. As far as the Castro bio... All the dirt is not going to come out till after the Castro's are gone. Lets get real for a minute. It a military dictatorship that's been in power for over half a century. How do you think those people stay in power that long ???
It's certainly not because they're doing a wonderful job & because people love.

Agreed Johnnie.
I suppose my point was that what was printed in 'My life' was a condensed version of his manifesto.

I bought "Fidel Castro: Biran to Cinco Palmas", in an official goverment of Cuba book store.
So, it was not unbiased. It was about the first part of Fidel´s career. Somewhere, I likely
have the book about Fidel´s later years.
The ISBN number: 959-09-0231-6.

The book is narrated by Fidel, who explains things clearly and slowly. Some would find it
a bit repetitive.

Personally, I was quite pleased to be able to read about this piece of history, and am
reading it again. I take some of the book with a grain of salt. The book (thus Fidel)
make him out to be a brave, talented, virtuous super man.

Unpleasant happenings such as past anti-gay laws aren´t publicized in the book.

Worth reading in my opinion.

Back