Border Crossings In The South To Chile

Only drove it little bit south of Puerto Montt so really no experience, but most of it should be gravel. Also check out the map https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Carretera_Austral.png

With a small (regular?) car that route might not be too much fun ... seems more something for suv, truck, or a regular with enough ground clearance and skid plates.

I crossed the Esquel border back in March of '07. Flew to Esquel, had an Argentine driver take me to the border, and a Chilean driver pick me up there, and spent an awesome week with the folks at ExChile.com , kayaking and rafting on the Futaleufú river. I believe that the roads on both sides of the border all paved at the time, I don't recall a bumpy or dirt road, but I wasn't driving, and frankly was looking at things other than the road topping. The wait was short, maybe four cars, but that was over 16 years ago, so likely much has changed. Other than being somewhat surprised that the border officers had automatic rifles slung, it was uneventful.

Attachments

• Esquel Crossing.jpeg
    Esquel Crossing.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Back