Crossing the Chilean border as an American in an Argentine car

Richardrainesjr

Registered
Howdy, I am an American skiing and chasing pow this winter all over Patagonia. I am traveling on a standard 90 day tourist visa. I just bought a Jeep in Buenos Aires and will be heading south soon, once I have all my paperwork completely in order. I have heard a lot of different things about the rules concerning border crossings between Chile and Argentina. The most accurate (I believe) is that you can leave Argentina but must be back in Argentina within six months or you will have to pay hefty fines on your car. Does any one know the laws for certain or have any advice? I would like to jump back and forth between Chile and Argentina depending on where the snow is best but do not want to be stuck at border stations. Thank you for any help! Cheers!!

This info is a few years old. Have crossed to Chile about 12 times over the years. Info may have changed.

We are considering an Argentine license plates vehicle, driven by an American citizen on a tourist visa? with a US/International drivers license. One way out is to have an Argentine Driver to cross the Border.

You can cross the border into Chile and stay there for up to six months, exactly....staying longer can result in fines or impounding of the vehicle.

National Road Safety Agency Requirements to Cross to Chile
Argentine Driver's license corresponding to the type of vehicle.
Argentine DNI, identity card, Passport.
Vehicle Green card proving ownership of vehicle
Vehicle Blue card, in case driving in a vehicle that is not owned by you.
RTO wafer (Mandatory Technical Review) or VTV (Vehicle Technical Verification)
international Insurance Policy.

Car rentals are provided by the needed paperwork to cross over

Back