Boyfriend's Tourism Visa Rejected - Advice?

jennacompton

Registered
Hello all,

I'm new to this community and was directed here by a good friend to get your advice. My boyfriend and I moved here last October - I'm American, he's porteño. We bought tickets to go home to visit my family for Xmas. He had been living in the States for 5 years (4 yrs. university / 1 yr. pro golf) and returned unaware how to conduct himself in the Visa interview.

Apparently, he was rejected in that he violated the law of the OPT (a one-year extension after you receive your degree), because he "did not work in the field in which he received his degree" (business admin). He, instead, did a try at pro golf. However, he was "legally employed" with a country club and we can now get this documentation. He did not have it at the time of the interview.

I have heard that you have to wait 6 months to reapply? We purchased our tickets for December. Also, he gave all the details about our relationship (dating for 5 years, etc.) and they also claimed he was not connected enough to his country even though we have an apartment leased for 2 years and he is employed with a company.

Can anyone help me out here? Advice? We haven't done anything yet. I emailed the embassy this morning just to see what our next steps could be, but I don't really know what to do at all.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Connected means to own real State, family and a profession that you cannot do there.
Seems he doesn t fit any.
Plus, your relationship is an obstacle. You evidence he has reasons to overstay. He already overstayed working on whatever.
Get married.

From my personal knowledge of Dr. Christian Rubilar or noted above as Bajo_cero2 take his advice -- he steers people in the right way. Get Married. You can then return to the USA

I'm not positive about how long you would need to wait to try again you should call the embassy but one thing for next time is to show proof of why you would need to return to Argentina. Since you let them know about your relationship it will help give proof of why you two won't just end up staying in the US. Though I think regardless its important he find out about the issue with his previous visa and if there's anyway to fix that blunder.

Connected means to own real State, family and a profession that you cannot do there.
Seems he doesn t fit any.
Plus, your relationship is an obstacle. You evidence he has reasons to overstay. He already overstayed working on whatever.
Get married.
From my personal knowledge of Dr. Christian Rubilar or noted above as Bajo_cero2 take his advice -- he steers people in the right way. Get Married. You can then return to the USA

I had a friend in LA break up with his 1/2 Tawainese, 1/2 Japanese girlfriend just because she either needed to get married or be deported from the USA. After ending their relationship, he realized that he didn't give a shit if it ultimately worked out or not, but he missed her and wanted to be with her. So they got married, were married about 5 years and then finally, because he was still chasing the filmmaker's dream, they got divorced, because she was ready to have a family and he was broke and semi-hopeless. But they had been married all the same.

Why the F*** not get married? It's not what it was. Just do it and see whether it works or not. You'll be glad that you did in the long run.

My friend had been rejected when she applied for a visa years ago and she ended up applying and got a tourist visa. She showed documentation showing what school her children in, her mortgage on her house, and proof that her parents were elderly and she would have to care for them and would therefore not abandon her parents and children while on vacation in the States. The more proof of a reason to come back to Argentine the more likely it is that they'll will grant you a visa.

Think your definition of "legally employed" could be skewed. Did the school officials and immigration approve the employment at the country club after his graduation? Employment MUST be associated with the degree (business...) and approved by school officials and immigration. Did he ever get specific approval to work at the country club from the authorities?

Perhaps he should have not tried to game the system. Business degree=golf? Just a little bit off.

Requires advice from an expert immigration counselor with contacts within the Embassy. :cool:

I've went through the same situation with my then-boyfriend, who was now my husband.

The thing is, he has a suspicious profile to the folks at the US embassy--that is, he already lived in the USA and he is dating you. Him telling them about your five year relationship is an automatic red flag, as that just gives them more reasons to suspect that he will want to stay in the US.

Apartment leases don't really make much of a difference, what they want to see is property. Proof of being steadily employed is essential--they will not approve ANYONE's visa if they cannot show proof of steady employment.

We couldn't get my husband a visa while we were dating, but once we were married, there was no problem. When we went to get the visa after we were married, they simply looked at his recibos de sueldo and approved him without any further questions. It seems like there is a further problem with your husband due to his line of work, I don't know how that will affect things,

I know, it sucks.
But think about marriage, because in general, if you are an international couple, things will be much easier for the both of you as far as travel, work, possibilities, etc.

Back