Brazil

The term Flemish language is a regional name for the Netherlandic (Dutch-Flemish) language (see DUTCH LANGUAGE,). Although linguists prefer the term Netherlandic, Dutch and Flemish remain common because they have political and cultural meaning. This is especially true of local spoken dialects, which form a gradual chain of dialects through Dutch-Flemish territory. Also, Flemish speech has many loan words from French. In spite of attempts to establish a written language from regional Flemish dialects, Belgium, like the Netherlands, uses standard Netherlandic (standard Dutch) as its literary language.

***for Blah Blah....again open mouth insert foot

I spent a short time in Brazil last year and was in Rio and Salvador. I actually really liked Salvador! A friend had previously told me it was the only place in South America that he felt unsafe (he was robbed at knifepoint for US$10 and also had a cheapo silver chain ripped from off of his neck). We were there in July so we decided to head north anyway to get to the heat.
I really enjoyed the African culture of Salvador. We stayed in an area very close to the beach (name escapes me now but could probably remember it if I looked at a map) and we had to take the bus to the old town. Whilst we were there there was a festival of God happening. Lots of partying in the streets all night. We mingled with the locals and met some great people. Absolutely loved the whole week we spent there.. never felt harassed (those cheese sticks they sell on the beach are fantastic!), never felt threatened or anything like that.
I must admit we never even once went into the centre of the city. We saw it from the bus when we came in and that was enough so certainly didn't really experience all of the real Salvador. (perhaps that is like people coming here, staying in Palermo then leaving saying 'wow I love Argentina'!) We were only there for the week on the beach and that is just what we did. It was part of a 3month south american trip so it was out time out from serious site seeing.

Whilst we were in Rio I was actually sick and couldn't go out at night with my friends or anything. That along with the ridiculous queues to go up to Christ the Redeemer (biggest waste of time ever) and the pollution really spoiled my time there. And because of that, I would easily choose Salvador over Rio if I went back.

Each to their own I guess.
Thanks for sharing your experience Katti! :)

katti said:
I post this short translation of my Blog (which is in Flemish). This is how I experienced my trip… Sorry for my bad English-

I can't tell you how many times I wrote this, before just giving up. My parents, my friends, my admirers, and my stalkers kept emailing me that they couldn't understand what I was writing. Only my friend's mom, who is Dutch, sent me emails saying that she loved my blog. Even this Belgian chick from Brussels told me the least I could do is also post in French.

Gracias Katti.

Napoleon said:
I can't tell you how many times I wrote this, before just giving up. My parents, my friends, my admirers, and my stalkers kept emailing me that they couldn't understand what I was writing. Only my friend's mom, who is Dutch, sent me emails saying that she loved my blog. Even this Belgian chick from Brussels told me the least I could do is also post in French.

Gracias Katti.

I love your friend's DUTCH mom, but KILL the french speaking Brussels-girl!
(just to keep up with the political clichés) :D

katti said:
So when we arrived in Salvador, we felt more like we were in Africa then in Brazil. Or maybe I should say that we just didn’t expect this. We were not prepaired. If we wanted Africa, we would have gone to Africa. Not only was everybody black, they were also ugly! I certainly did not expect that!. Sometimes you see a beautiful face but then there is this huge backside and a hang-belly. It seems that all of them are fat! It must be the african fast food I guess. We also found them agressive, they hassle you all the time and they are (generally) not friendly; Above that I absolutely hate the language and think it sounds ugly. They speak no English. For a cheap watch (like the ones we were wearing) they stick at you like glue, for a bag (with or without valuables) the attack you. (our friends were forced under the thread of a knife to give their bags with only beach stuff inside).

They didn't speak English? Oh, the HORROR! :rolleyes: I understand you're expressing your views, but you're doing so in a public forum. With that said, your views are just atrociously ignorant. You might want to consider checking out a book on introductory Sociology from your library. You really need a reality check. On the other hand, you could just stay home in your bastion of wealth and security.

katti said:
Brazil is after all –and maybe in the first place- a beach country.

Wrong. There's a lot more going on in Brazil than beaches and carnaval. I'd visit the interior of the southern states. Rio Grande do Sul is beautiful. Furthermore, there are tons of white people with roots mainly in Germany and Italy. You'd feel right at home.

katti said:
There is no culture at all, it is just touristy. The culture is the city, that is certain!!

Bahia is one of the most important cultural centers in Brazil. Think that Caetano Velhoso (YOU MUST LISTEN HIM, IT IS AN ORDER. Try "Fina stampa") and Jorge Amado (writer, "capitaoes da areia" among many books) born there.

Back