Breadmaker advice needed

marcopolo

Registered
Hi

Ive been battling to make my own bread for a while but am going to lose some teeth in the process.

Thinking of buying a breadmaker instead...do any of you have any experience with those contraptions and, if so, can you suggest what type I should look for.

Cheers
Mark

I know nothing about breadmakers but I've been asking the same questions myself and my Argentine breadmaking friend tells me I should buy an Argentine brand such as ATMA. This is not out of patriotism but practicality: she tells me that when they break - and all of them break - it is much easier to get spare parts for a local brand than a foreign brand.

I've used a Panasonic one with great success but don't know if that is available here. If it is I guess it would be double the price...

Yes, I have seen ATMAs for sale on mercadolibre for around 400AR
Cheers

I've been through several breadmakers (over a long period of time). Now I look for one that has a timer (to wake up to fresh bread) - think nearly all of them have this and what size loaves you can make - 1.5 lbs is fine for the average household but large households may want 2 lbs. Some breadmakers produce the more traditional shaped loaves, others produce tall narrower ones. Some have a rapid setting but to be honest they bread doesn't taste nearly as good on that. If I don't have time or haven't thought ahead to make bread (mine takes 3. hours) I shove all the ingredients in on the dough setting (1.5 hours) and then make rolls by popping the dough in the oven. Breadmakers are great for making pizza dough too.

Didn't want to start a new thread...I have a 110v-60hz-500w breadmaker. Not that sure about transformer size. The person who sold it to me said I only needed 500w but after reading online I think you're supposed to get something higher than the actual appliance wattage, correct? Will 750w do? Thank you!

50hz vs 60hz. Running a 60 hz synchronous motor on a 50hz system, rpm will be slower and its life span will be shortened: more amps. Not a good idea to run any 60hz appliance with a motor on 50hz system.

I have been using a Moulinex Home Bread stainless-steel( http://www.moulinex....bread-inox.aspx ) for a about 4 years now. I do recommend the new model with the baguette insert though. I miss that in my machine and have to make baguettes in the oven when the kneading cycle/resting is done.

The bread is much denser than bread that you buy at a bakery, and it tends to get stale faster so I make smaller (750g) breads and try to use them up quickly while they are warm. Get yourself fresh flour, and keep in air-tight container. I use the Levex instant try yeast in ~ 5g packets so I don't have to throw out the excess, or mess around with activating it in water. You also must introduce the ingredients in the order given in the recipes (usually starting with liquids/oils/milk, then flour, lastly the yeast)... the machine takes care of the rest.

Tip: RICE FLOUR... mix it with 0000 wheat flour make for a lighter fluffier bread. Use a sifter.

I've experimented with the different recipes provided in the instruction manual (and a PDF - 1001 Bread Machine Recipes - I found on the internet). I's important to follow the recipe with breads. Baking is NOT like cooking where you can improvise, baking is more of a sience than an art; measurements must be followed (yeast, flour, salt, sugar all affect the outcome). Different flour have different baking times (whole grains usually take longer). Rye flour is difficult to find, or is oxidised due to poor storage. Try the Dietica stores though.

My favorite is the yoghurt bread, and I replace 1/3 of the regular flour with rice flour. There are cycles that let you add extras like nuts, seeds, oats, etc. Some of these are trial and error, however, a little bit of reading gives you a better idea of how the different components react with each other.

You also have some cycles that can be faster, cutting the baking time in half (depenending on the cycle), and of course, a timer and "keep warm" mode after the bread is done. There are a few more options such as the crust darkness setting, dough cycles, jam making cycle, and a pasta dough cycle.

Cheers

I love my machine and it comes in handy. The cons are the density of the breads

Back