Bring Tv To Argentina

garryl

Registered
Hi guys, sorry for a dumb question:
I have seen people bring TVs from US to Argentina. 1)Is TV much cheaper in US than in BA?
Does that make financial sense ?
2)does that create any problem at custom ?
3)a voltage converter is needed, also HDMI shall be used ? Does all the cable boxes have HDMI support ?

Thank you in advance.

yes, tvs and monitors are much cheaper in the USA. Usually half the price, sometimes as little as 1/3.
The models in the USA are this years, usually- and the ones in Argentina are often 2 to 5 years old, in terms of the technology and models.
Virtually all modern electronics sold in the US these days is available 120/240- so there are no voltage converters needed on many models.
I have brought all kinds of electrical and electronic devices from the USA that just need a plug adapter, not a voltage converter- of course, you need to make sure the exact model you are buying is 240 volts capable.
For instance, I bought a color inkjet copier/scanner printer, in the USA, that is voltage sensing, for about $65 USD. A similar, but older model, in Buenos Aires, will run you around 3000 pesos. So- triple the price, for an older model.
Almost all the monitors or tvs sold in the USA for probably five years are HDMI compatible.
I have brought down several computer monitors, never had a problem with customs- but I am travelling on a US passport.
Argentine citizens may have to pay duty.

Yes, most Argentineans buy abroad and even when paying the 50% tax (on excess value, above the $150 USD allowance) it is much cheaper.
I took 2 large monitors on a foreign passport and did not get questioned, but it depends on the monetary needs of the handling agent.

Also: If you entering the country with your wife/husband and/or kids you can combine the amount. For example wife and husband on a plane 300+300 = 600. Kids under 16 only have half the amount, though. So wife, husband + 2 kids via terrestrial border: 150+150+75+75.

Also: If you entering the country with your wife/husband and/or kids you can combine the amount. For example wife and husband on a plane 300+300 = 600. Kids under 16 only have half the amount, though. So wife, husband + 2 kids via terrestrial border: 150+150+75+75.
Good business practice.

Back