Bringing 3 Computer Monitors to BA....?

malthus101

Registered
Hi

Random sort of question - for my work, I need at least 3 x 23" monitors.

I assume that buying these in BA will be ludicrously expensive (could I be wrong?) sending them over will be a total headache, therefore...

I guess the only option is to bring 3 with me!

Other than just wrapping them in lots of bubble wrap and putting them in their own suitcase, can anyone think of a more elegant solution?

Random question I know but...!

Thanks

Malthus101

I've brought 2 at a time on multiple occasions. I wrap them in towels and put them in checked luggage. The less you make it look like they are new the better. If you get asked why you have them (which is unlikely) just say 'I like movies'.

I brought 3 LCD screens without any original packaging in a single suitcase, I wrapped each one first in that thin high density foam wrapping stuff and then packed clothes around them and they all arrived fine.

Through the X-ray and they didn't even look twice.

If you are used to prices from the USA then, yes, electronic prices will seem very high to you. But if you are used to buying stuff in the UK then there really isn't that much difference. Take a look at some of the goods on offer on Argentine websites (use google.com.ar and most of the argentine hits will float to the top) and then make your own mind up. Remember that if the goods look new and you don't convince customs that you are arriving as a tourist you could pay 50% duty on what you bring in. Most people get away with it but some don't.

I don't know if the UK has anything like this but in the US if you're taking high value electronics out of the country you can pre-register the serial numbers with customs. Just got to the customs office of your departing airport, and request a Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad (CBP Form 4457)

When I came through EZE, the customs agent saw that I had two laptops, multiple phones and cameras coming through the final XRay and said, "Open all your luggage." Complying with her demand, I did so, then also handed her the US Customs CBP Form 4457. She wasn't sure what to make of it so looked around for a boss, didn't see one... then not saying a word, she walked away ...Leaving me standing there with all my luggage open, all my electronics on display and all the other travelers grumbling. In fact we waited almost 6 minutes. When she finally came back she handed the paper to me without even making eye contact and said, "You can go."

I have no idea if this is normal but in my case, pre-registering my electronics seems to have shielded me from some sort of entanglement.

See if the UK has something of the same.

Yes, monitors will be more expensive. I got one for $150 USD in the States that I've seen retail for $500 USD here. Yikes!

It's probably worth it to bring whatever you need and then be ready to fork over the customs duty on the slim chance you get searched. I had a monitor, laptop, and tons of accessories, and nothing happened. I think there's a higher risk if you take double items, though.

Thanks guys, all good advice.

3 monitors in a suitcase might look a bit suspect - these cost about $220 each in the UK - cheap for the quality.

I suppose I could just suck up the Argentinian cost and then sell them when I leave?

Would be a damn site easier than carting 3 monitors across the globe...

Now for the really lazy part - you guys got a link to any of the major electronics retailers in Argentina so I can get an idea of the prices and brands etc? :p

Thanks!

Malthus101

I don't know if the UK has anything like this but in the US if you're taking high value electronics out of the country you can pre-register the serial numbers with customs. Just got to the customs office of your departing airport, and request a Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad (CBP Form 4457)

When I came through EZE, the customs agent saw that I had two laptops, multiple phones and cameras coming through the final XRay and said, "Open all your luggage." Complying with her demand, I did so, then also handed her the US Customs CBP Form 4457. She wasn't sure what to make of it so looked around for a boss, didn't see one... then not saying a word, she walked away ...Leaving me standing there with all my luggage open, all my electronics on display and all the other travelers grumbling. In fact we waited almost 6 minutes. When she finally came back she handed the paper to me without even making eye contact and said, "You can go."

I have no idea if this is normal but in my case, pre-registering my electronics seems to have shielded me from some sort of entanglement.

See if the UK has something of the same.

Has anyone else ever used this form? Just found after reading through some old threads because I'd like to bring an Apple Thunderbolt monitor back on my next trip. Would obviously have to check it and have never checked anything of that value before. Lots of threads on packing monitors in checked luggage with zero problems, so that's good, but have never heard of this "Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad (CBP Form 4457)" form before. ? Thanks

Unless you are bringing the Apple monitor, monitors are not that expensive here as far as I have seen. You could get one for 250 to 300 dollars. It won't be good quality though.

Back