British inferiority complex?

In the words of some 'The Falklands war was a close run thing.'Snob is in fact derived from Latin, used by the Romans when they occupied Britain, to differentiate between certain classes..Still investigating that.

"jedard" said:
Im sorry but you are wrong. My information shows that the USA offered its assistance and G.B. and it was politely rejected.
What "information?"
As for the idiot Military Dictator who sent thousands of young men to that war, unprepared and with guns that had rust all over them and very few bullets to go with them.
Not excusing Argentinian incompetence ( a national trait), but they were afraid Chile might invade so they they sent their crack troops to the Chilean border

I recognise that this doesn't add to the debate about British inferiority complex re the loss of her empire but for the sake of good order I have posted below the definition of "Britain" per Wikipedia for the benefit of those unfamiliar with the history and the actual position. Despite what some may think England and Britain (or indeed the UK) are not the same thing although they are continually confused as such.
"Great Britain is no longer a country, but simply an island in the United Kingdom. Politically, "Great Britain" describes the combination of England, Scotland, and Wales, and therefore also includes a number of outlying islands such as the Isle of Wight, Anglesey, the Isles of Scilly, the Hebrides, and the island groups of Orkney and Shetland, but does not include other outlying islands such as the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
Great Britain has evolved politically from the gradual union of England and Scotland which started in 1603 with the Union of Crowns under James VI of Scotland and eventually resulted in the Acts of Union in 1707 which merged the parliaments of each nation and thus resulted in the formation of the Kingdom of Great Britain, which covered the entire island, to the situation following 1801 in which Great Britain together with the island of Ireland constituted the larger United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (UK). The UK became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in 1922 following the independence of five-sixths of Ireland as first the Irish Free State, a Dominion of the then British Commonwealth, and then later as an independent republic outside the British Commonwealth as the Republic of Ireland."

Good point Bulldog, I am continually having to correct people who ask when I say I am from Wales "is that Wales England?"
I have a number of friends who fought in the Falklands conflict, and they will tell you,it was avery close run thing. The UK forces had enough ammunition to fight for less than 12 hours more.
Margret Thatcher was a lot of things, but I for one do not belive that she was so far off her trolly that she would take us into a conflict halfway accross the world and then refuse assistance from the biggest power in the world, I think your information is wrong on this one jedard.

"tangobob" said:
Margret Thatcher was a lot of things, but I for one do not belive that she was so far off her trolly that she would take us into a conflict halfway accross the world and then refuse assistance from the biggest power in the world, I think your information is wrong on this one jedard.
Britain was calling in favours from the Americans, demanding to be helped. The USA was in a tight spot as the American administration figured -- quite rightly -- they'd be in disfavour with the South Americans for some time. The Argentinians sent a top official (general? minister?) claiming the Monroe Doctrine demanded the US intercede on Argentina's behalf. Eventually, as most of us know, the Americans provided the Brits with Sidewinder missiles.

My, my! British inferiority complex? Please moderators, why do these annoying, English people (I presume they are Sassenachs) keep bringing the whole Kindgdom into these squabbles - inferiority is clearly an Englishman’s' domain. That is all BBW needs to know.

However:

Sovereignty of Islands colonised and inhabited by Her Majesty’s the Queens subjects should never be negotiable and one would hope that Great Britain retains its ability to defend our compatriots wherever they may be. Argentina has no rightful claim to the Falkland Islands - history and international law clearly support that view. However, your scant and dismissive assessment of the ‘Falklands’ military campaign, which caused the death of so many Argentine and British servicemen, is regrettable.

This matter has become a political hot potato again because of the Kirchner dynasty seem to use every popular political card in the deck - as long as they can avoid discussing the real issues at home and a

Drivel!
If anything, and if we Brits are honest with ourselves, some of us have a kind of superiority complex, which is inherited from our colonial past. The word snobbery must surely have been invented in Britain. Inferiority complex? No way!
Now this thread is related to BBW's comments regarding Lady Thatcher and her actions concerning the Malvinas/Falklands War, with the implications being that she promolgated the war for her own vanity and electoral reasons, Britannia Rules the Waves and all that nonsense. Who invaded them in the first place? In 1982 I mean.
Answer: some tin pot Military Dictator endeavouring to restore National Pride in Argentina, which had been so cruelly taken away in March 1976, a date which will never be forgotten by any Argentine.
Its entirely irrelevant that the islands were largely ignored by the UK government at the time. The fact is that they are UK national sovereignty and were defended and retaken under very difficult circumstances. The implication that Lady Thatcher was somehow 'behind' the whole thing, is quite simply preposterous. Many men and women lost their lives on both sides, and lets not forget the cannon fodder, the conscripts that Galtieri threw at the Brits. Some had barely left school.
BBW, have a think of what the USA has done in the past, in the name of defence/drug control/oil.Iraq? Grenada? Is Iran next?
How's the weather in Minnesota, by the way?

[/quote] t this point in time, nearly every coastal nation is jockeying for more polar land, testing international law and submitting new claims (that includes Argentina) over and above old claims and treaties, just in case treaties break-down, although this is an oxymoron, as many of us can see that international laws and treaties may not be worth a dime in the escalating madness.

My, my! British inferiority complex? Please moderators, why do these annoying, English people (I presume they are Sassenachs) keep bringing the whole Kindgdom into these squabbles - inferiority is clearly an Englishman’s domain. That is all BBW needs to know.

However:

Sovereignty of Islands colonised and inhabited by Her Majesty’s the Queens subjects should never be negotiable and one would hope that Great Britain retains its ability to defend our compatriot wherever they may be. Argentina has no rightful claim to the Falkland Islands - history and international law clearly support that view. However, your scant and dismissive assessment of the ‘Falklands’ military campaign, which caused the death of so many Argentine and British servicemen, is regrettable.

This matter has become a political hot potato again because of the Kirchner dynasty seem to use every popular political card in the deck - as long as they can avoid discussing the real issues at home .
At this point in time, nearly every coastal nation is jockeying for more polar land, testing international law and submitting new claims (that includes Argentina) over and above old claims and treaties, just in case treaties break-down, although this is an oxymoron, as many of us can see that international laws and treaties may not be worth a dime in the escalating madness!
That's better, no longer severed by Marc.

On further consideration,
I disagree that the British are inferior and therefore, they do not have a complex about this. They do talk funny though.

AndrewWhat does....'that's better no longer severed by Marc' mean exactly? Kind regardsMarc

I acquired this neat software that allows me to use my logon info to monitor good forums and respond to matters that matter. Mainly about Buenos Aires and tourism and international security. My interests. It does not work!! Every time I submit anything it seems to do silly things. My last post, blow those horns, came out strange and was not the same as the previous, which got cut in half by your own post, not anything sinister marc- sleep well, you can close both eyes!!

Back