Bs As Getting To Be Very Pricey.

jeff1234

Registered
A lot of our costs of living have increased dramatically in the last two years. Even in terms of US$ our food, dog food, restaurants, clothing have doubled and tripled.

I just paid $43 for cat food that is on Amazon in the U.S. for $13 whereas

Yet it appears that the restaurants are crowded, lots of people are driving new cars and traveling.

Is anyone else starting to think about finding a less expensive expat home?

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-affordable-countries-living-abroad-expats-2017-9/#16-czech-republic-15

Argentina hasn't been cheap for a long long time.. Relative to the crime you have to deal with its not the best option unless you already have a family/loved one here. If you are single then I can't see the appeal at all.

And I'm sure there is an earlier one as well. This is about as expensive as I remember it having been.

A lot of our costs of living have increased dramatically in the last two years. Even in terms of US$ our food, dog food, restaurants, clothing have doubled and tripled.

I just paid $43 for cat food that is on Amazon in the U.S. for $13 whereas

Yet it appears that the restaurants are crowded, lots of people are driving new cars and traveling.

Is anyone else starting to think about finding a less expensive expat home?

http://www.businessi...ech-republic-15
There was a time when everything was expensive, except real estate or rent. Now real estate prices soaring and rent prices are higher than many countries. Restaurants are full, suddenly there are many new German cars on the streets that you do not see before. All these point to one thing: strong local currency. Peso is too strong against dollar. Usually when peso is too strong, business is leaving the country. But this is a special time, Maric opens the door to capital and opportunities. For a (unknown) short time, it will be in this weird cycle. This is harder for those whose income is dollar. Also hard for many locals whose income does not adjust to inflation well. But for many Argentines, they make a lot more peso, the currency rate is in favor of them, suddenly buying real estate, new cars are easier now. Argentines always spend a lot $ on restaurants, they like sit outside, especially young people. Every Argie I know travels abroad and use their credit cards, another sign of strong peso. In conclusion, I think many Argentines are doing pretty well. Marci gave them opportunities, but expats and older citizen whose income does adjust to inflation well are not doing as well, I mean, screwed by the change.
Argentines are so much more resilient than Americans, they can make a living under pretty bad situation. This is one thing Americans should learn from Argies, have savings.

Argentines are so much more resilient than Americans, they can make a living under pretty bad situation. This is one thing Americans should learn from Argies, have savings.

And (ideally) have a stable source of passive income from those savings (in order not to deplete them) as well as a place to live without monthly espenses del consorcio.

PS: Another way to cope with rising food costs is to buy land where you can grow your own food and have small livestock.
emo32.gif

\Peso is too strong against dollar.

And yet a strong peso is not reflected in the conversion rate. It seems like, for the last 5 years or so, each year the US$ buys maybe 15% more pesos.
If the peso is stronger now shouldn't each peso be buying more $?

I have seen a raise in the blue market (Euro) since the PASO. Have you? When xe.com gave a 20.50 I changed for 21.40. It's a sign.

Since the strong pesos, I have started to expand my business locally. When I arrived here, I laughed at how low the suggested average fee for translators was. Now it is comparable to Europe. I don't think that this is too bad, I was somewhat uncomfortable in paying so little professionals from various trades. I mean, very cool to have a maid for 3 euros per hour, but did it feel right? Not to me (never had a maid, it is just an example). I so wish this price increase was a reflection of appreciation for the Argentinians and not the result of an economic trick.
Also, it cannot keep raising.

I'd be very curious to hear exporting companies on their competitiveness on the global market. This must be a soon-to-be golden era for importers, though.

\Peso is too strong against dollar.

And yet a strong peso is not reflected in the conversion rate. It seems like, for the last 5 years or so, each year the US$ buys maybe 15% more pesos.
If the peso is stronger now shouldn't each peso be buying more $?
A steak dinner for two at an average place costs about 50- 100 dollars. Peso is too strong. It should be 1:25.

There was a time when everything was expensive, except real estate or rent. Now real estate prices soaring and rent prices are higher than many countries. Restaurants are full, suddenly there are many new German cars on the streets that you do not see before. All these point to one thing: strong local currency. Peso is too strong against dollar. Usually when peso is too strong, business is leaving the country. But this is a special time, Maric opens the door to capital and opportunities. For a (unknown) short time, it will be in this weird cycle. This is harder for those whose income is dollar. Also hard for many locals whose income does not adjust to inflation well. But for many Argentines, they make a lot more peso, the currency rate is in favor of them, suddenly buying real estate, new cars are easier now. Argentines always spend a lot $ on restaurants, they like sit outside, especially young people. Every Argie I know travels abroad and use their credit cards, another sign of strong peso. In conclusion, I think many Argentines are doing pretty well. Marci gave them opportunities, but expats and older citizen whose income does adjust to inflation well are not doing as well, I mean, screwed by the change.
Keep in mind that all this phenomena is not about new opportunities or savings but supported by increasing national debt in international currency . Deficit this year is estimated in the record high of 7% GDP

Back