Buenos Aires considers allowing online gambling

interesting. i wonder what sports they will have available?

Just what society needs at a time of crisis - gambling to ruin even more families and lives as people look for an escape from their increasingly desperate situations with the scraps of money have left.

Just what society needs at a time of crisis - gambling to ruin even more families and lives as people look for an escape from their increasingly desperate situations with the scraps of money have left.
Weak people give in to temptations - It is as simple as that. The higher a person's stress level, the more likely they are to cave in. And right now, there are masses of weak minded people out there. To that end, the government may be very wrong to place this kind of temptation out there within easy reach. So what else is new? Lottery tickets, tobacco, alcohol ... all the sins ... gambling, prostitution ... allow it, tax it. This is why you need to self regulate. That is code for being mentally tough / mentally strong. I hope many people pass the test.

Weak people give in to temptations - It is as simple as that. The higher a person's stress level, the more likely they are to cave in. And right now, there are masses of weak minded people out there. To that end, the government may be very wrong to place this kind of temptation out there within easy reach. So what else is new? Lottery tickets, tobacco, alcohol ... all the sins ... gambling, prostitution ... allow it, tax it. This is why you need to self regulate. That is code for being mentally tough / mentally strong. I hope many people pass the test.
I agree up to a point. Gambling like drug or alcohol addiction can become a mental illness for many people, so not just a case of saying "toughen up". Once the harm is done it is done and more often than not it affects families or other people just as much as the gambler itself. Hence the key is to ensure access to these things mitigates the risks to a larger degree and ensures a support / safety net for those that fall through it so that others don't suffer as a result.

My issue is not with allowing gambling, even if I personally don't condone it, but putting it on an online and more accessible forum where there are fewer checks and balances. For example, making someone go to a physical venue implies there can be better checks on their identity and limits placed on how much they can gamble as well as making it less convenient in the first place. Moving to an online forum opens up a raft of issues that those with serious issues will use to feed their addiction such as identity fraud and card theft, plus a sense of anonymity etc.

I sure hope someone is thinking up slogans.

“Play like there’s no tomorrow.”
“Eat, drink and lose money, for tomorrow you die.”

I agree up to a point. Gambling like drug or alcohol addiction can become a mental illness for many people, so not just a case of saying "toughen up". Once the harm is done it is done and more often than not it affects families or other people just as much as the gambler itself. Hence the key is to ensure access to these things mitigates the risks to a larger degree and ensures a support / safety net for those that fall through it so that others don't suffer as a result.

My issue is not with allowing gambling, even if I personally don't condone it, but putting it on an online and more accessible forum where there are fewer checks and balances. For example, making someone go to a physical venue implies there can be better checks on their identity and limits placed on how much they can gamble as well as making it less convenient in the first place. Moving to an online forum opens up a raft of issues that those with serious issues will use to feed their addiction such as identity fraud and card theft, plus a sense of anonymity etc.
I see your point and it is valid.

Back