Buenos Aires Herald on strike

Saturnine

Registered
I know Napoleon has already posted something about it, but it lost claim and visibility against Sugar being closed down for 15 days.
BA Herald, all 20-something people working there, are on their third day of strike. For the sake of accuracy, the company didn't offer a 3 percent raise. That would be too much of a joke in Argentina, especially with most Herald employees making less than USD1,000 a month. The offer was laid out in stages, with 3 percent on the first month and reaching some 10% after five months or so. Never mind inflation, that's only good to lengthen threads and bound to end in useless pep talk.

Here's how Sorrel put it:
Still no word from management. Our UPTBA union rep Nicolás says our meeting with the Ministry of Labour and employer mFin has changed its time tomorrow from 1pm to 3.30pm and that a Canal 7 TV crew are coming by Herald Towers today to conduct some interviews. Rest assured that they won’t be allowed into the building to film.
So what is this all about? Why are we, the Buenos Aires Herald editorial and administrative staff, striking? Why am I, a nice, middle-class, private-school educated, southerner from bloody England, striking? I’ve never done this before. Many members of the 21-strong Herald editorial team (yes, that’s how many of us, maximum, put out a daily newspaper and it’s a daily that only takes advantage of three Argentine bank holidays a year) have never done this before.

More here: www.sorrelmw.com/strike-three/

Oh, before I get to bite the dust after some of you go back to the Herald being written in some weird type of Klingon language vaguely related to English, please take you time to think about the last time you actually got that feeling when reading several pages in print. Because most of the expats I've met keep reading the paper online. All done by a different team, or should I say, people employed by quite a different company.

Strike or not, the paper is still at the news stands every day. Less editorial content, more ads, but it's still there. Continuity has been ensured by a handful of higher-rank editors whose paychecks would benefit a lot more from any sort of raise. Spot on, but no so spotless.

....in some weird type of Klingon language vaguely related to English ....
::eek:
Spot on .... LOL

Tangerine said:
....in some weird type of Klingon language vaguely related to English ....
::eek:
Spot on .... LOL

Exactly, never would have guessed that there were any native english speakers on the editorial staff.

I know Sorrel and she's quite a gal. Determined and full of energy.
I also suspect that she is the only native speaker on the team.
I've read worse papers...

Gringoboy said:
I know Sorrel and she's quite a gal. Determined and full of energy.
I also suspect that she is the only native speaker on the team.
I've read worse papers...

I know Sorrel as well. I've also met another gentleman who is English and has been with the paper for over 20 years. A new native speaker is starting when the strike is done and one or two of their non-native speakers have lived so long in the States, that it's difficult to tell that they're not native speakers.

The problem is that they don't have the budget to really even have editors/proof-readers. And that was with LAST YEAR'S BUDGET! I'm thinking that the 3% budget increase isn't really going to change that.

I would love it if they got serious, started building up ad revenue (there are hardly any ads in that paper) and perhaps brought in a couple of study abroad journalism interns AT LEAST just to do some proofing.

A newspaper needs to be about 50% ads (pulling that number out of my ass, but it's probably not too far off) to be profitable. The BA Herald that I bought yesterday was about 10% ads. No wonder it's run like a community volunteer project more than a real newspaper.

From Hotels, to Airlines, to Hostels, to Old Time Anglo-Argies, to Expats, to students studying English in school, there's a large market out there for the paper. And if the business media group that owns it actually ran it like a business, the paper would be much better off.

Not sure that it makes any difference to the quality of their work but for those reading the English newspaper here in BA the reporting may get even worse. Full article here

pez said:
Not sure that it makes any difference to the quality of their work but for those reading the English newspaper here in BA the reporting may get even worse. Full article here

Not sure I understand what you mean by getting worse, Pez.
Care to clarify that bit? :)

Day 4:

There's a picture of Frutigrams and a new Strike update: http://www.sorrelmw.com/strike-four/

I had previously asked if their piqueteros (sp?) had bought their fireworks yet, and if the question was answered, it was in the negative.

You really can't have a real strike in this city until you've got explosives. How it's legal in the city, especially in the microcenter, is beyond me, but nothing says-

"We're on strike!! ...viste???"

...like fuegos artificiales.

Viva la prensa!!

Back