Buenos Aires positions itself as a post-pandemic destination for digital nomads

MilHojas

Registered
As someone that arrived in March on a tourist visa and now staying long term it will be interesting to see the details of the dedicated visa for the Digital Nomads programme.

Sounds like a great idea and something that Macri would have pushed for, but no way this happens with the current government and crazy amount of bureaucracy at Migraciones. I will never forget my days spent at migraciones offices, finally got approved after the employee used my personal cell phone to call her friend at the central office and ask for a favor...

After 10 years in Buenos Aires I moved to Amsterdam late last year to take a break from the quilombo and was shocked how many ways to get residency there are here and how friendly and efficient they were compared to Argentina. I've never seen so many freelancing Americans than here, all you need to do is present a business plan for remote work and spend more than $4500 a year in the local economy. The government literally sent me a gift basket of local food products and a hand written welcome card after I got approved (2 weeks after applying).

Sounds like a great idea and something that Macri would have pushed for, but no way this happens with the current government and crazy amount of bureaucracy at Migraciones. I will never forget my days spent at migraciones offices, finally got approved after the employee used my personal cell phone to call her friend at the central office and ask for a favor...

After 10 years in Buenos Aires I moved to Amsterdam late last year to take a break from the quilombo and was shocked how many ways to get residency there are here and how friendly and efficient they were compared to Argentina. I've never seen so many freelancing Americans than here, all you need to do is present a business plan for remote work and spend more than $4500 a year in the local economy. The government literally sent me a gift basket of local food products and a hand written welcome card after I got approved (2 weeks after applying).

Things do tend to get easier when you move from the Third World to the First World. I bet the tap water is also drinkable in Amsterdam.

Buenos Aires positions itself as a post-pandemic destination for Bolivian bricklayers.

Fernando Straface gives a lot of platitudes here, but not a lot of specifics, and by "entrepreneurs" the author of the article seems to be imagining an influx of higher income business people, when in reality it will probably mean more expats of modest means teaching English remotely.

Back