Buenos Aires Salaries

You should consider at minimum 35.000 to 40.000 $Ars a year (gross salary). You can expect a student finishing university or just ended.

Vikingo said:
ok... he is looking for people bilingual in english and besides he wants them graduated from college..

how can you say that 1,500 pesos would be fair??? Nobody with that characterictis will accept a job like that, and if someone does, he will be constantly looking for other jobs. I´m not graduated working for a US corp. and my salary almost doubles that.

Apart from that, you were wrong, the discounts that an employee has from the gross salary (bruto) is as follows:
11% for retirement (jubilacion)
3% health care (obra social)
3% law 23,568 (related to retirments and pensions)
Total: 17%

PLEASE RE-READ MY POSTING BECAUSE I NEVER SAID $1,500 pesos per month was fair. Obviously your english comprehension (and spelling) is not completely up to par. I simply stated that when I was last interviewing people for my business in November 2009, there were plenty of candidates that were currently earning in the $1,500 peso range. And yes some were college graduates and of course looking to earn more. I never said the salaries here are fair, however I am being realistic about what some people are actually earning. Hopefully more companies will follow Zach's lead and pay higher salaries. Good Luck!

I´m young and bilingual and I have been offered salaries between 1700 pesos - 3700 pesos per month for entry level positions. The funny thing is the position that offered me 1700 required me to be trilingual with Portuguese too! So there is a pretty big range there. Salaries are low and people are quick to move on if they find something that pays better.

Keep in mind while estimating your costs that you have to look at aguinaldo (13th month) plus obra social, taxes, etc.

You can certainly find students that are finishing up their degree at night who can work full-time during the day. Some of our best employees are doing that.

You could probably pay as low as 2500 pesos but IMO, you run the risk of losing them to a better paying job. Bilingual & college degree would put them at 3000 or more - bruto. (4000 is too high). Bigger companies can get away with paying less b/c they have the name factor but in a smaller company, I think you need to be a little more generous.

Thanks everyone for all of the info. I think I have a good feeling for salaries now. I also have another question. Are there many Americans living in Buenos Aires that would be interested in doing work from home online? Salary would likely be about $1,000 USD for 40 hours a week, so approximately what a local who is fluent in English would be make.

Are you talking about employing Americans en negro (aka off the books?) I'm sure you would find some people that are more than happy to do that but ojo - it's illegal and you would be putting yourself and them at risk of serious penalties. Just be aware of what you're suggesting.

If you're talking about doing it en blanco - you have to set up your company and file paperwork with the gov't in order to hire foreign employees. Also, keep in mind there are tax implications for the employees as there is no tax treaty between the US and Argentina so in theory, they could have to pay double taxes. You also will still be responsible for sponsoring their work visa here, payroll taxes, etc.

Citygirl, are you sure there is no tax treaty between Argentina and the US? I know that there was one a few years ago. Perhaps it has been squashed, like so much else.

Sara - I didn't think there ever was one but for sure there is not one now. You are exempt from paying taxes in the US up to a certain amount (I believe it's 95,000 USD) if you are out of the country for a certain amount of time working for a foreign company here in Argentina (I believe its 330 days a year).

I would need to look up all the info to confirm but I know there is an issue as I am currently switching my employment to be director of the company here and my lawyer was very explicit that I would need to be careful.

The US is one of the few countries that taxes its citizens based on their citizenship, not their location.

I do know there was one back in 1996, when my husband retired and we moved part-time to Argentina. We consulted a Washington accountant specializing in expatriate taxation, and that's what we were told.

By a tax treaty I mean that money taxed in one country is deducted from taxable money in the other. Same with taxes. I do know that in our US tax returns we deducted our BA property taxes.

But perhaps that's not what you mean. I don't know much about business, so I could be mistaken.

Back