Buenos días from Canterbury, England.

Rory56

Registered
Hello all,

I've just joined the forum since I'm giving thought to moving out to BA in the near future. I've just graduated and am now a BA English/American Literature with History and Philosophy of Art graduate of the University of Kent, Canterbury. This degree also included a year living in Madrid, and practical studies in translation and interpretation between English and Spanish (both ways). Ideally, I'd like to find some work writing for one of the English language periodicals, though I know that realistically this sort of career choice requires some flexibility and compromise. I've also taught English in both Madrid and India, and have a good deal of bar work experience.

If there is anyone available who can offer any advice to the possibilities of such a move, I'd be hugely grateful.

Saludos!

Rory

Without wanting to burst your bubble, I have come across absolutely tonnes of expats that arrive here wishing to write for "one of the english language periodicals")...some with significant journalistic experience, most fresh out of college. As far as I am aware, there are maybe 3/4 English language periodicals...
Last time I checked, the Herald offered 20 pesos per article and I knew a staff writer there who was on less than 2,000 pesos per month (not nearly a living wage). I have a friend that wrote for BA Insiders (I'm not sure this still exists as I haven't seen it in a while) and was paid nothing and I think the Argentimes is much the same (obviously, please correct me if I'm wrong anyone).
If Time Out Buenos Aires is still going, I'm not sure what their freelance rates are but I'm certain that positions are few and far between. Aside from the economic aspect, I'm not sure that BA is the best place to be to get good work experience on a quality periodical.

English-language teaching is a little more lucrative and there are far more positions available and opportunities to teach privately, but wages are still going to be very low. I'm not sure about bar work. I think you'd probably have problems getting any kind of customer-facing job without a work visa.

I think moving to Argentina as a career move or in the hope of getting relevant work experience is generally a bad idea. But so long as you're prepared to do something like English teaching and come with enough savings to supplement a pretty bad wage, it's still going to be a great life experience

I would have to agree with Ashley, Rory. BA is a good place to visit and I would do that before committing to move here. The cost of living has gone up and prices of most things have followed. English teaching jobs have become very competitive as well. There are many sites on the net these days where people can learn for free...come only to visit, then decide for yourself if this is where you want to live.

Rory56 said:
Hello all,

I've just joined the forum since I'm giving thought to moving out to BA in the near future. I've just graduated and am now a BA English/American Literature with History and Philosophy of Art graduate of the University of Kent, Canterbury. This degree also included a year living in Madrid, and practical studies in translation and interpretation between English and Spanish (both ways). Ideally, I'd like to find some work writing for one of the English language periodicals, though I know that realistically this sort of career choice requires some flexibility and compromise. I've also taught English in both Madrid and India, and have a good deal of bar work experience.

If there is anyone available who can offer any advice to the possibilities of such a move, I'd be hugely grateful.

Saludos!

Rory

Welcome Rory,

This is sensible advice so far. Most people I have met here have arrived with some savings and a flexible return flight. It's a good way to start. I'm sure with your background you have lots of possibilities. Unless you are about to turn down the opportunity of a life time in England then I'd say you have nothing to lose. As you have said already, you know a career move like this requires compromise and flexibility.

Many people I know here are travel writers (Time Out/freelance) or English teachers but don't let that put you off. It just shows that it is possible but competitive. I hadn't intended to teach English but had so many offers for private work that I completed my TEFL and started working for a small company (for 55 pesos/hr which is not bad). I've had to turn work down too. Feel free to send me a message if you would like to know more.

I have been here for a year and a half in which time I've experienced a fair amount of ups and downs. If you search for English teaching on this site there are some useful threads on the pros and cons. I'm originally from Kent. I love Canterbury and almost studied there myself. Good luck!

Back