Bus sound?

heelcrackpotlib

Registered
I'm new here and loving the city but one thing puzzles me. Can anyone explain that sound the buses here make, like air being released, what is it exactly?

Its the air brakes.
Most big trucks and buses have a small compressor mounted on the engine, driven by a fan belt, that powers the brakes. The driver presses on the brake pedal, opening a valve that allows compressed air to actually push the brake pistons. When the brake is released, the air is let out and makes that sound.
The doors on some collectivos are also air powered, and make a whooshing sound when operated as well.

Air compression brakes I was familiar with before coming here, BUT what about that awesome whizzing/whistling sound they sometimes make? Is it like a more polite version of the horn? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It cracks me up every time I hear it.

EliA said:
Air compression brakes I was familiar with before coming here, BUT what about that awesome whizzing/whistling sound they sometimes make? Is it like a more polite version of the horn? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It cracks me up every time I hear it.

yes. that is a novelty "horn". they have "real" horns when the whistle doesn't make the offending person/car/taxi/bike/etc doesn't move.

Which lines?
I have never noticed this sound on the ones I ride the most- there are 3 that stop in front of my door, and another half dozen right around the corner- but maybe they are making the sound, and I just tune it out...

I take the 39 and the 95 the most, and cant remember them making any other than normal bus sounds.

Basically, commercial vehicles and public buses are allowed to do whatever they want. There is absolutely no line in the sand to cross. Its a free for all.

So, at the risk of sounding like a broken record folks, the buses bellow like jet airplane engines spewing massive amounts of black smoke. The commercial vehicles are appalling, leaving you in a thick cloud. I walked home after work, the pollution is almost dizzying, the noise is beyond comprehension. Not to mention that most cars, especially outside this one city of BA do NOT have mufflers nor are ever inspected. No mufflers, bring a bag of ear plugs if you move here!

Argentina is polluted and noisy and doesnt care!

winston;40901... Argentina is polluted and noisy and doesnt care![/QUOTE said:
It's not all of Argentina. Go to Provincia de San Luis and you'll notice the difference, big time. I wish BA was like San Luis.

if you notice, most buses have a connection to each wheel, which is an air supply to maintain tyre pressures automatically. I wont go into all the details, but it is this whch makes all the whistling/wheezing sound, especially when the bus pulls up, or goes over a pot hole

Back