Buy a house in BA?

There are baby-boomers like myself coming to retirement who...do not meet the criteria of €25000 per annum retirement income.

Unless there has been a massive increase in the past few years (the last time, as far as I know, that Argentine migraciones actually posted a monthly income requirment of $30.000 pesos),. I don't think the annual income requirment in Argentina is anywhere near that amount, though at times in the past, the income requirement was set at about $2000 USD per month for the visa rentista

If I remember correctly, that was the case when the monthly requirment increased to $8000 pesos and the exchange rate was about 4 to 1. Also, as far as I know, Argentina migraciones accepts US Social Security income for the visa pensionado (for which there was no set amount in the past) and I believe the highest monthly Social Security payments are somewhere around $1500 USD.

I don't wish to retire to any place where I'm not particularly wanted.

Where are you from?

Last edited:
If the poster is retiring and has pension income, he needs to go with the Pensionista category, not the Rentista category. Indeed Argentina specifies no minimum amount for the Pensionista. He just needs to demonstrate to Migraciones that he has a government or company pension for life.

Unless there has been a massive increase in the past few years (the last time, as far as I know, that Argentine migraciones actually posted a monthly income requirment of $30.000 pesos),. I don't think the annual income requirment in Argentina is anywhere near that amount, though at times in the past, the income requirement was set at about $2000 USD per month for the visa rentista

If I remember correctly, that was the case when the monthly requirment increased to $8000 pesos and the exchange rate was about 4 to 1. Also, as far as I know, Argentina migraciones accepts US Social Security income for the visa pensionado (for which there was no set amount in the past) and I believe the highest monthly Social Security payments are somewhere around $1500 USD.

Where are you from?
Steve briefly the minimum income requirement for Brits moving permanently to Eurozone countries varies from €7500 for Portugal to €50,000 for the Republic of Ireland. For Spain it's €25000 per annum. This is for permanent residency. You can of course buy property in any of the Eurozone countries and stay there for 180 days out of 365, but you then have to clear out and return to the UK (where I live), but this would be costly and self-defeating.

I can't see that happening, other than for people with family connections or a particular business idea or hobby like wine. It's too far away, too far out of the comfort zone of the casual expat retiree who wants nice weather and a quiet life, and requires too much of an unfamiliar dialect of Spanish. Europeans retire to places like Spain, people from the US and Canada to Mexico, Costa Rica, or if they're able to chase girls still, to Medellin. Argentina is just too difficult and too far away.
We will see what happens, but Argentina is super affordable now, while having more going for it than most other parts of Latin America, in many ways. Spain sounds very good, but it´s much much much more expensive than Argentina now.

I can't see that happening, other than for people with family connections or a particular business idea or hobby like wine. It's too far away, too far out of the comfort zone of the casual expat retiree who wants nice weather and a quiet life, and requires too much of an unfamiliar dialect of Spanish. Europeans retire to places like Spain, people from the US and Canada to Mexico, Costa Rica, or if they're able to chase girls still, to Medellin. Argentina is just too difficult and too far away.

Indeed Colombia is the choice of a particularly crude sort of septuagenarian lothario, many at present preying on Venezuelan refugees. Gentlemen will prefer Argentine women, but they are a dying breed in these times.

Back