Buying a foriegn car.

Rich One said:
. New Permanent Residents are allowed to bring in the country a car and household effects, no later than six months after residency.

Driving in the country is one thing, and depends on the license plates and Mercosur Regulations of Free Transit among member countries.
Right, thats what I thought.

What I'm wondering if I buy a foreign registered car and have it titled in my name in the US can I as a temporary resident, drive it in Argentina legally?

make sure you get the import papers transferred to your name before the old owner leaves or you get the power of attorney allowing you to drive the car out of the country.

Not sure what you mean by "To Import", a car is either driven into Argentina or comes via freigt Ocean/Air, can be a duty free Import if you qualify. To be allowed to import a car duty free, you must have owned the car for a period of time?

You must contact AFIP , customs in Argentina must know if ithe car is from USA, the value ? what plate?, etc.

Can I drive a US registered and titled car in Argentina and across land borders with US plates with out registering nor legalizing the vehicle in argentina?

Back